Notifications
Clear all

Oven Or Kiln?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

I have found a great deal on a couple kilns that are being sold by a lady that used them for ceramics. They are smaller with the common vertical octagonal shape with a top opening lid. My question is: is there a disadvantage to going this route instead of buying an oven designed with a knife maker in mind? The smaller one is a twelve inch octagon with a fourteen inch depth. I know it may take a little longer to come to temperature due to volume, but beyond that is there anything else I should be concerned about? Thanks as always

Posted : 12/11/2016 9:38 pm
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Seth

I do not think that a small vertical kiln would be any problem. You will need to hang the blade, and that can be a good thing sometimes.

Any way you can all ways resell the kiln if it does not work out for you. The most important thing is even heat,and hold an even heat.

You will let the kiln come up to heat and stabilize before you place the blade in for whatever type of heat treat you are going to do.

Anyway I think it would be fine for now. The only thing I can see is figuring out a bracket to hold and suspend the blade, remember the

bracket will be at the same heat as the blade. Also remember to stand to the side while opening the kiln to keep the heat from hitting

you in the face. This is just my opinion. I hope this may help you some, in making a decision. Just take the time to figure all the angles

before making a decision.

Anthony

Posted : 18/11/2016 10:59 am
Share: