Notifications
Clear all

Plunge Block

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

A tool I've found indispensible is a inverted sanding block which I made for truing up plunge cuts.

It consists of a 1 1/4 " X 5" X 9" Micarta block mounted on a 1 X 12, lengthwise, front to rear. A yoke is hinged at the rear, is pulled down over the front and latched in place.

The yoke's purpose is to draw a standard size piece of sandpaper taut, over the block. The right and left edges are different radii; one for plunge cuts, and the other for the front and back of integral

bolsters.

The blade is placed on the sandpaper (starting at 150 X), and pushed, then drawn, with a plunge cut held against a radius.

A paper towel over part of the sand paper will protect portions of the blade which I don't yet want sanded.

The paper is repositioned, an inch or so at a time, as needed.

Russ Andrews

Russ Andrews

Master Smith

[email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

http://russandrewsknives.com

Posted : 06/04/2011 10:44 pm
New Member Guest

now see, thats a great Idea!

Posted : 07/04/2011 4:35 pm
Karl B. Andersen

Russ, thanks, buddy.

I just made up my own rendition of the same concept.

Nuthin' like another "tool" to add to the pile.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 07/04/2011 7:11 pm
Karl B. Andersen

From my own rendition of Russ' idea, only a few minutes time and less than 1/3 sheet of paper:

I was holding the knife up in the ceiling light between two bulbs with one hand and the camera with the other, so I was a few degrees off of straight.

(This also taught me a new way to check the edge as it remains black but you can see if it's directly in the middle of the knife!)

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 20/04/2011 7:56 pm
Share: