Notifications
Clear all

Power Hammer Vs Press

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I Realize there’s Going to be some different views on this as people have different preferences but I’m going to ask the age old question should I build a Hydraulic press or a Power hammer? My focus is mainly on Demascus but I have plans for some axes and hammers as well. I’m thinking the press is probably best for My projects but there’s something about a power hammer that just seems more enjoyable so I figured I would ask.

Happy New Years guys!

Daniel.

Posted : 01/01/2020 8:17 pm
Karl B. Andersen

They work/move the steel quite differently from each other.

The dies SUCK the heat right out of the steel with a press and cool it off quickly, yet move the steel FAST.

Each has its advantages. If I were to only have one it would have to be the press. But I have both and don't know how I could get along without either.

Get a press and start a stash for a hammer purchase.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 01/01/2020 9:48 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Personally, I could not do without either one. My press is my precision, and my hammer is my speed.

Each does things the other either cannot, or not nearly as well as the other. When it comes down to a decision of one or the other.... I think the first and most important aspect is where to you live? Rural or urban? If you have neighbors anywhere close, a power hammer and neighbors is often NOT a good mix. So that means looking at a press.

If you're rural, and the noise produced won't be an issue, then it's going to boil down to your person desires.

Next comes availability..... do you build? Or do you buy? Finding a quality press commercially is more and more difficult, simply because of liability issues that nobody wants to take. Same with Hammers. Personally, if you have the knowledge/understanding, building a press is the way to go, but it ain't cheap!! Expect to spend $3-5K building your own.

When it comes to hammers, short of finding a good 25 or 50 Little Giant, my recommendation would be the Anyang hammers. I personally own a Say-Mak, and think it's the best air hammer for folks like us, but don't think they are available new anymore.

I could go on and on, but it really boils down to you, your wants, and were you live dictating what's best.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 02/01/2020 10:47 am
Topic starter

Thank you for the advice fellas! I live out in the country so thankfully no neighbors so noise isn’t an issue. I think I will go the press route. I will be building mine. Not expecting to really save any money over just buying one but I enjoy building equipment. Thanks again! Once I get enough money To start I will try to do a WIP.

Posted : 03/01/2020 1:44 pm
Share: