Notifications
Clear all

Quench Tank For Swords

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member Master Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Hey all, I am looking to make/commission a vertical quench tank for swords, and I need to settle on dimensions and specifications. I will only ever be quenching one blade at a time, so I probably don't need a whole lot of volume. Here are my questions:

What material?

How tall?

What diameter?

Round or square?

Approximately how much oil will such a tank hold?

Thanks.

Jordan

Posted : 08/12/2016 12:51 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Jordan,

Horizontal or vertical? Most Japanese swords I have seen quenched went into the tank horizontally verses most European swords I have seen were quenched vertically. Horizontal lends it self to square/rectangular and vertically, pipe is going to be cheaper than square/rectangular tube.

Volumes are approx. due to it depends on the wall thickness for actual volume:

Squares x 36"

- 4" = 2.5 gal

- 6" = 5.6 gal

- 8" = 10 gal

- 10" = 15.6 gal

Rounds x 36"

- 4" = 2 gal

- 6" = 4.4 gal

- 8" = 7.8 gal

- 10" = 12.3 gal

Couple other things to think about, if using oil, are you going to pre-heat it? Keep the material thin unless you have an efficient way to heat the oil. That's a lot of hot oil, you will need a lid not for if you have a fire but for when you have a fire.

Thanks,

Steve Seib

Posted : 08/12/2016 2:33 pm
Trusted Member Master Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

This is really helpful, Steve. I do want a vertical tank, and I think having a lid makes a whole lot of sense.

In a 4" round tank, will the oil heat up too quickly to effectively harden a 30+ inch broadsword? Or will it stay within a reasonable quenching range?

I'm sure smaller will be cheaper, but I definitely want it to do the job well.

Posted : 08/12/2016 4:17 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

we use a O2 cylinder with the top cut off, works well. we had been using a 4"/4" square tube before we switched to a faster oil. that also worked well, but started to over heat after 2-3 blades

MP

Posted : 08/12/2016 8:20 pm
Share: