Notifications
Clear all

Ribbon Burner Question

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I am about to build a longer & larger diameter forge, mine is just to small. It will be 24" long x 9" square (round in this case), I want to use forced air to conserve fuel and get better use of it. It will have 3" thick kwool to hold heat in. I would really like some experienced advice on this forge, I have never done one like this before.

Minimum Effort = Minimum Results every time

Posted : 07/05/2019 5:48 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

I have built several of them. There's was a lot of trial and error that went into mine. What I learned is that you dont want to build the burner over 10" long. Seems like the longer ones I built ended up cracking. You need to use Mizzou castable or an equivalent. You need to cure the castable as per the instructions. I use gate valves to control the air. You need at least a 125cfm blower. I usually build round forges but this last one I built it was square. I have a couple YouTube videos of different ones running. Here are a few pics of the last one I put together. You want to use some kind of solenoid valve in case you lose power. This square one I built. I have 2" of duraboard 1" of kawool lined with a 99% alumina castable refractory that is highly flux resistant. If you have questions I will do my best to answer. As I am not a professional and I an just sharing my experience. With a forge that size I would want at least 27 5/16" holes, the burner no longer than 9.5". The orfice needs to be around 1/16". The 1/16" orfice will give you greater control.

Attached files

Posted : 07/05/2019 8:58 pm

Here's another view through my welding helmet.

Attached files

Posted : 07/05/2019 9:12 pm
Joshua States

Here is my ribbon burner forge in an old water tank top. The pic is after I turned it off because the picture of it running was way too bright to capture.

The instructions on making a ribbon burner by John Emmerling can be found at this link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=15IeSu3SVMH0IjmDg8TeZLiyMy357LUXM

I followed these instructions almost to the letter. I used wooden dowels and drilled them out rather than use the crayons, as he shows. It's been working great. Gets to 2300*F in about 7 minutes with a 2" Kaowool liner. My forge is a little shorter than your 24" idea by about 8" I run it at 3.5 psi with a 50cfm blower.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 08/05/2019 12:23 am

Question, has anyone had issues with the ribbon Burners cracking and falling apart after using them for a while? Mine is at the point now where i need to fully put it out and remake it. I am just wondering that is normal or how long they are expected to last, Maybe i didn't cure it long enough the first time.

Thanks

Josh

Posted : 08/05/2019 2:27 pm

The only ones I have ever had crack is the ones I made over 10" long. The smaller wider ones I have made I haven't had any issues with them.

Posted : 08/05/2019 5:23 pm
Share: