Notifications
Clear all

Tormek Problems

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hi everyone!

i just received my new t8 and have to send it back because it smells like burning plastic. has anybody else had this problem? is tormek really a trusted brand? ive had a grizzly for years thats been a real work horse. i got the tormek for an upgrade but im not sure about tormek anymore. im trying to decide if i should get a refund or do an exchange. lmk you’re opinion on this please. thanks

Posted : 03/02/2021 3:56 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Clinton, I suspect you won't get a lot of feedback on the Tormek here on this site, not because it isn't a great machine for sharpening the edge type it does grind, but because it cost half the price of a low end belt grinder and doesn't grind the type convex/rolled edge I put on 90% of my knives. Most knife makers use the belt grinders they profile and grind their blades with to sharpen the edge, I know some that only use the belt grinder and finish with a buffer for their edges. They can do a rolled edge, flat bevel like the Tormek does or a full chisel grind ( main bevels ground right to the edge with no extra edge bevel). If you like the precision edge the Tormek does by all means it is a great machine, it just isn't as universal as a belt grinder.

Posted : 05/02/2021 2:55 pm
Share: