Notifications
Clear all

What Do I Need

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Ok I am wanting to expand my knife making capabilities and want to start forging some of my knives. I just need to know what I need to get started. I forged a one knife already using an old coal forge with hand crank but want to get something more hands free I guess. I would like a propane forge since I have a 500 gal propain tank attached to my garage that never gets used anymore. Ialso need to know about hammers ect. I am new to this and dont really have anyone here willing to help me out. All the help I can get would be appreciated.

Posted : 13/06/2012 8:32 pm
Admin_DJC305

Kyle

I saw your JOIN when it came in today. Welcome to the American Bladesmith Society and the ABS Forum. You will find the ABS Forum to be an excellent source of bladesmithing information.

To address some of your questions and to get you started please check the following Topics on the ABS Forum, Click:

Forging Hammers

Gas Forge Selection

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 13/06/2012 9:38 pm
Topic starter

So will the NC tools knife maker forge work ok until I get to the point I am making damascus? They are not to far away from here.

Posted : 13/06/2012 9:48 pm
BrionTomberlin

Hello Kyle and welcome. I use a NC Tool whisper daddy low boy forge and it works fine. It will also reach welding temperature with no problem. They heat up fast. Just make sure to order the forge bottom liner if you decide to do damascus.

Like Dan mentioned check out the forging hammer thread and forge thread. You also will want to look into steel for forging. I will suggest Aldo Bruno at New Jersey Steel Baron.

http://stores.njsteelbaron.com/StoreFront.bok

Go for the 1084. It is easy to heat treat and makes a very good blade. This steel will also work well with 15N20 for damascus.

I am sure I will think of more things. And another link, this one to our ABS website in the Master Class section. A lot of good information on a number of topics.

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/index.php?section=pages&id=176

Good luck

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 13/06/2012 11:37 pm
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

Welcome Kyle!

Looks like Dan and Brion have given you a good start on your questions. Post up any more that you have!

Posted : 14/06/2012 9:28 am
Topic starter

Thanks for that secound link Brion! It had alot of great information in it.

Posted : 14/06/2012 11:01 am
Tony Hughes
Active Member Journeyman Bladesmith

|quoted:

Thanks for that secound link Brion! It had alot of great information in it.

Welcome, you talked about your 500 gal. Propane tank attached to your house, they usually have about a 5 or 6 lb. regulator and you will need a 10 or 12 lb.revualator to make tbose forges work. Been tbere.

Tony

Tony Hughes

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 14/06/2012 12:52 pm
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Welcome Kyle!

You've come to the right place for info. I have an NC Tools KnifeMaker Forge, and it works great. I also am having no trouble at all reaching welding temps and forge welding. I also recommend getting a couple of their forge welding bricks to protect against the flux. I coated my welding bricks with ITC-100 to make them last even longer, but you can also use Bubble-Alumina to coat them. If you really want a jump start on this art, take the Intro to Bladesmithing class at Haywood College right there in NC. It is invaluable.

Posted : 14/06/2012 4:49 pm
Admin_DJC305

Kyle

Ed Clarke is correct about taking the Introduction to Bladesmithing class at Haywood Community College. I recorded this video a few days ago at the school with Bill Wiggins for the ABS YouTube Channel.

[media] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2YKWSLWZDI [/media]

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 14/06/2012 5:47 pm
Topic starter

I have looked at taking the course but not sure if I have the time right now. But I am very interested in it.

Posted : 14/06/2012 6:43 pm
Lin Rhea

Kyle,

I'd like for you to consider the course if you can possibly work it in. The course does use a couple of weeks of time and that is a sacrifice for sure. But in the long run, it will save you time and, as you mentioned, time is an issue. It will knock a year or more of your learning curve. Just a different perspective.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 15/06/2012 8:49 am
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

If you are with-in driving distance - this starts next week. If the class isn't full yet, you may still get in.

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/ipboard/index.php?/topic/655-haywood-offering-evening-introduction-to-bladesmithing-course/

Posted : 15/06/2012 2:38 pm
Share: