12 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
10.8 K Views
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

2015 Spring PIney Woods Hammer-in - April 25 and 26, 2015

Moran School of Bladesmithing - Washington, Arkansas

The 2015 Spring PIney Woods Hammer-in will be held April 25th and 26th at the Moran School of Bladesmithing in Washington, Arkansas.

On site registration will begin at 7:15 a.m. on April 25th. The Registration fee is $60. Register by noon this day and your name will be entered in a drawing for a Charles Stout, MS hunting knife. The drawing will take place at the auction later on Saturday, and you must be present to win.

Below are the instructors and at least one course that they are going to teach:

James Crowell - Grinding and Polishing

Roger Massey - Folding Knives

Timothy Potier - Forging Hatchets

Lin Rhea - Blade Geometry

Kenny Rowe - Leather craft

Mike Ruth - Damascus Steel

Mike Williams - Jigs and Fixtures

For further information, contact B. R. Hughes at 903-838-0134 or [email protected]

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 12/01/2015 1:38 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

This is the event flyer for the Spring Piney Woods Hammer-In which is set for April 24-25, 2015 in Washington, Arkansas. We hope to see you there!

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 04/03/2015 12:17 am
BrionTomberlin

Well the Spring Piney Woods Hammer In is a week away. A really good set of demonstrators for the weekend. For any aspiring knife makers and us old geezers it is a great place to learn techniques and meet people that share the same interests. Also if there are any makers that are going to be presenting knives for judging in Atlanta or Kansas City, this is a great opportunity to have knives critiqued as there will be a number of mastersmiths there. It is much better to have your knives looked at beforehand, so you have time to correct any issues. I am looking forward to it and to seeing all my friends.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 17/04/2015 8:34 pm
Lin Rhea

Blade Geometry? What's that?!!

Just kidding. I look forward to this one. I hope all who are on the fence will be there. It will be a great learning experience.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 18/04/2015 5:23 pm
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Hello Guys,

I am going to the Hammer in this weekend. This will be the first time that I have ever been to a Hammer in or any other knife making training. I am extremely excited though I will only be able to attend saturday due to prior obligations on Sunday. Registration starts at 7:15 but is there anything going on from then to noon? I have to drive 4 hours to get there so I need to know what time to leave. Also how late will classes go? Thanks a lot, I am so looking forward to this.

Jeff

Posted : 23/04/2015 10:20 pm
Mike Williams

Look forward to seeing you there Jeff. There will be seminars all morning; firing off at 8. Look, ask questions, enjoy.

All of you newer guys; a bunch of us will head out to supper fri. night. A big meet, greet, biggest lie session. We'll come together somewhere at the Best Western; look me up.

Mike

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 24/04/2015 5:53 am
BrionTomberlin

I look forward to meeting you Jeff. Pretty much what Mike said. It starts at eight and goes until 6:00 or so Saturday. Mike I will see you this evening, BBQ and pies?

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 24/04/2015 8:09 am
Lin Rhea

If I don't make it tonight, I'll be there early in the morning. Yall drive safe.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 24/04/2015 8:15 am
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Starting get stuff together over here to head down this afternoon. Drive safe everyone.

Posted : 24/04/2015 10:21 am
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Thanks for the responses guys. I am leaving early in the morning so I can't meet up tonight. I will be there by 8. Looking forward to meeting all yall.

Posted : 24/04/2015 5:49 pm
New Member Guest

Had a great time at the Hammer-in weather was great lots of information floating around as always. Thanks to all the people who make it happen it's alaways a wonderful experience and I always learn a lot. And this year was really nice because I won the give-away Knife . I'd like to thank Charles Stout for making and donating such a great knife I am very thankful and happy with it. It's deffinitley the best $60 a knife maker can spend on learning thats for sure.

Thanks Anthony

Posted : 26/04/2015 11:35 pm
Mike Williams

Ladies and gentlemen;

The Fall Piney Woods Hammer-In is upon us (October 3 &4). The heat has broken and we are feeling a lot more like doing something. Mr. Hughes has got a really nice program set up, the weather is supposed to be perfect and I am just about tired of my remodeling here.

Most of the group is staying at the Hope Best Western; they have put up with us for years. Bring all of your brag plunder, trade stuff and of course your knives.

I have been coming to Old Washington for about 25 years now, only missed a couple. Every time I come back from there to the shop inspired and just jumping to tryout the latest new trick I picked up.

But even more; there is old friends and most importantly the network that we as craftsmen build up. Guys that are doing what we are doing, other makers we can bounce ideas off of and then call up months later and pick their brain a little more. That in itself is the most important thing that I get from the hammer-ins.

Gordon Graham has kindly donated a knife to be drawn for at the auction; all paid attendees are in the pot. Gordon has built a really nice Damascus hunter that anyone would be proud to own; I got to handle it pretty thoroughly.

Holler at me on Fri. and we will go find something to eat and try to tell a lie that sounds good!

Mike

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 24/09/2015 7:15 pm
Share: