Notifications
Clear all

Journeyman Smith Test

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

well, I am 3 months shy of eligibility for the test and I am confused about the difference between the shop test and the judging and rating thinggy. To be fair I have been more concerned with improving my skill then researching the inner workings of the ABS and I am not someone who is interested in administration in the first place.

Posted : 26/12/2018 3:25 pm
Karl B. Andersen

|quoted:

well, I am 3 months shy of eligibility for the test and I am confused about the difference between the shop test and the judging and rating thinggy. To be fair I have been more concerned with improving my skill then researching the inner workings of the ABS and I am not someone who is interested in administration in the first place.

To put it simply, the "test" is in two parts.

Part 1.) Build a knife that successfully passes the Performance test, where you forge and build a knife that shaves, slices, chops and bends according to the performance rules section of the test. This is done in the company of an ABS Master Smith who witnesses all of these functions

Part 2.) Build FIVE knives that are then presented to the ABS judging panel at the Atlanta Blade Show in June, or the Kansas City Judging panel in September for final certification if the judges pass the five knives presented.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 26/12/2018 10:15 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

To put it simply, the "test" is in two parts.

Part 1.) Build a knife that successfully passes the Performance test, where you forge and build a knife that shaves, slices, chops and bends according to the performance rules section of the test. This is done in the company of an ABS Master Smith who witnesses all of these functions

Part 2.) Build FIVE knives that are then presented to the ABS judging panel at the Atlanta Blade Show in June, or the Kansas City Judging panel in September for final certification if the judges pass the five knives presented.

Ohh thank you for clearing that up.

Posted : 29/12/2018 3:05 pm
Share: