Pattern Welded Fittings On Js Knives?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Evan Cihak
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Good afternoon Gentlemen,

I'm pretty clear on whats expected of JS test blades- high-carbon mono steels in the ABS style. The JS test instructions say:

"The applicant must submit a minimum of five (5) completed forged knives for judging by the ABS Judging Panel. The knives to be judged must be made of plain carbon steel (no Damascus or other forge-welded material)"

My question is, does this stipulation refer strictly to the blade? Or the knife in its entirety? I.E. a damascus guard, bolster or butt cap? Would these be an automatic disqualification?

Looking forward to testing soon and submitting my test set!

Thank you all in advance.

-Evan

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 26/10/2018 3:11 pm
BrionTomberlin

Hello Evan. The no damascus rule does also apply to fittings. Nothing on the JS submission knives is to be made of damascus or anything resembling damascus, such as mokume or wrought iron. So yes that would be a fail. I would stick to 416 stainless or nickel silver.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 26/10/2018 9:36 pm
Mike Williams

Evan;

Brion is spot on. No Damascus; or maybe Damascus; on any part of the journeyman presentation knives. The reasons for this rule is long and convoluted and too much for me to type. Will be happy to go over it in person sometime if you would like.

Mike

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 29/10/2018 5:59 am
Evan Cihak
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

|quoted:

Hello Evan. The no damascus rule does also apply to fittings. Nothing on the JS submission knives is to be made of damascus or anything resembling damascus, such as mokume or wrought iron. So yes that would be a fail. I would stick to 416 stainless or nickel silver.

Brion

Brion,

Thanks so much for clarifying that- Whew! was considering a wrought iron guard for a Bowie. You saved me there!

Very much appreciated.

-Evan

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 29/10/2018 1:00 pm
Share: