Clear all

Viewpoints Of New Journeyman On Preparing For Testing And Judging In Atlanta

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Viewpoints of New Journeyman on Preparing for Testing and Judging in Atlanta

I answer many questions asked by our Apprentice Smiths every week who are preparing to take the JS Performance Test or are preparing to have their presentation knives judged in Atlanta or San Antonio about the ABS rules. I am familiar with the rules and can answer those questions. From a practical point of view I thought that it would beneficial to have a discussion about how our newest Journeyman Smiths from the Blade Show in Atlanta prepared for their JS Performance Tests and the Judging Panels in Atlanta.

What experiences did they have? What advice would they give to prospective Journeyman candidates? How long did it take to build their presentation knives? What advice did they receive from Master Smiths or Journeyman that they found valuable? Did they ever attend any of the seminars at an ABS Hammer-In on JS/MS testing standards?

This is a discussion that all of us can participate in and learn from. We can help each other.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 11/06/2012 9:29 pm
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

This is a great topic Dan. This thread can become a resource of valuable information for future JS testers.

Posted : 12/06/2012 6:05 am
New Member Guest

Great idea Dan. I sure look forward to hearing what folks have to say! Another question for the new JS and past JS folks...how many knives would you say you made before doing your five presentation knives?

Posted : 12/06/2012 9:55 am
BrionTomberlin

Excellent idea Dan. I look forward to reading the posts. This will give a lot of insight for future candidates.

Phil I made over forty knives after taking the Intro course. That was before the six I did for JS.

One note. As a maker I just want to say that you can relieve a lot of stress by having your knives looked at before hand. Even if they are not your test knives, have a MS or JS look them over and give critiques. I pestered a lot of people before the JS testing and even more for the MS. I was lucky that when I went for JS I went to the Spring Hammer In and the majority of the judges were there. So I guess you could say mine were pre-judged. I fixed the things they pointed out and felt pretty good about them. For the MS judging I put a lot of miles on my vehicle and went to see area Master Smiths and get opinions and critiques. This was invaluable. SO get your knives looked at beforehand. I know, here he goes again, but we are glad to do it and the only thing it costs you is time and gas.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 12/06/2012 3:35 pm
New Member Journeyman Bladesmith

In Regard to the question how many knives i made before testing i would say close to thirty and i got a little better with each one.

I will second the advice on having mastersmiths look at your blades. I had several master and journeyman smiths look at my blades some were probably tired of seeing me but always gave good advice. Don't have thin skin when it comes to this. I would much rather someone tell me like it is than to blow smoke.

My best advice is take your time and do your best work if that means throwing one in the scrap pile and starting over do it. All the ABS classes i have taken have helped me so much in the road to Journeyman. Take any you can get to they are worth it!

Rob Singleton

Posted : 13/06/2012 11:59 am
Steve Randall
Eminent Member Master Bladesmith (5yr)

Working for my JS has been a total blast! Having a certain standard to work for has improved my knife making, far better, than if I did not have that goal. The people of the ABS have been a great group of people and a valuable resource through the whole process. I attended the last three Hammer- Ins at Haywood ,NC and attended two of the Testing Standards Seminars, which gave me good insight of what to look for.

I started making my knives in November 2011. I did not want to be working on them at the last minute. I made my first three knives and showed them to several MS and JS to make sure I was on the right track. This way I could correct any issues before all my knives were completed. Taking their critiques into account (mostly small cosmetic type issues), and making the corrections, also gave me some good insight into what to watch for on my remaining knives. I made 7 knives to choose from, then took those for reviews from several knife makers. I think having the knives done early would be my best advice! It was nice knowing if I needed to, I had time to make another knife. Friday, the day of judging , I was so focused on the process I wish had taken more time to see the other great knives presented. When the judging was done I took the knives over to Coop for pictures and left them with him. If I had to do that again, I would bring them to my table until they were ready for them to photograph.

Thanks Steve

Posted : 14/06/2012 1:32 pm
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Great Info! Great Topic! Mike

Michael Arguello

Apprentice Smith

Posted : 28/07/2012 10:32 pm
Share: