Clear all

Viewpoints Of The Testing Judges

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor
Topic starter

There is another perspective of the ABS Testing procedure. It is that of the Judges. Judging is not an easy thing. No one likes to have to tell someone that they have failed the test. The Judges would rather help you in advance of the test, so you will pass, rather than have to tell you that you have failed. All of the Judges have been in the shoes of a test applicant, so we know how you feel. Some Judges have experienced failing the test, so know what that is like as well.

This thread is for past and present Judges to offer advice to applicants for MS and JS testing. Questions for the Judges to answer, may also be posted here.

Posted : 10/06/2013 8:27 pm
Mike Williams

Ok; I'll try to start here . I guess somebody has to. I've been working on my wind blown barn since Blade.

Old fat guys up on roofs ought to be illegal.

I look over 30 to 40 sets of knives a year. Some are really nicely done, some are iffy, some are not close to iffy.

I believe the main factor in presenting knives that are not of the quality that we would like to see as judges is lack of SHOP TIME. It takes a while for a new smith to become comfortable with the basics of a well made knife. I know; there are some prodigies out there; but most smiths, like me have to struggle and scrap over every little detail.

I would suggest this approach to new smiths; who are having some difficulties.

1. Make and finish the blade. Before the guard, before the handle, before anything else. If you do not have a straight, symmetrical, cleanly done blade; the rest is a waste of your time. If you do not KNOW it is right; have it looked at by someone who does know. Learn how to see and do it yourself; every time. More shop time.

2. Make a guard that that is symmetrical and fits that blade. Before the handle, before anything else. If the guard and blade are not straight, well fitted and symmetrical with each other; the handle doesn't matter. It is either good or not. Shop time.

3. Rough fit the handle assembly, grind it close. Check for symmetry and alignment with the guard and blade in all axis; any slop or movement will not be to your benefit on glue up. If you are not absolutely sure that your total assembly is right, find someone to show you; then learn how to see it and do it yourself. More shop time.

4. Now glue it up and do final finish work.

The js applicants have been unsuccessful at a average rate of about 20% over the last bunch of years. Most of those would have passed if they had just adhered to the above steps.

There are many small details in a good knife. They don't matter if you don't have the basics nailed down.

M

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 13/06/2013 6:50 am
Share: