Notifications
Clear all

What Is Meant By Laminated

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I was going over the JS testing requirements and came to this part "Damascus or laminated blades are not allowed as test blades for those seeking the Journeyman Smith rating."

I had known that Damascus was out of the question but I did not know about the laminated steel. I know it says what it says and it is what it is but what exzactly does it mean. My first guess was no San-Mia type steels becaus it's testing a mono steel blade. My one question is this, one of the steels I really love and work with a lot only comes in rather thin sheets. Of corse the steel I'm talking about is 15n20. I have been able to really get some great performance out of this steel but the catch is I have to stack it up and forge weld so I can get the thickness needed for forging. So by saying laminated are thy saying no forge welding or no layers of dissimilar steels. I wish I could get 15n20 in something like 1" round stock but no luck so I'm stuck with the thousands of pounds of uddeholm bandsaw blades I have. Thank you guys.

Posted : 08/06/2017 11:28 pm
Mike Williams

It "means" exactly what it says. Anything such as that will get you a return ticket.

There are very good reasons for the rule. But, too much for me to type.

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 09/06/2017 6:16 am
Admin_DJC305

Keep in mind that Master Smith Mike Williams is the Chief Judge for the Journeyman Smith Judging Panel.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 09/06/2017 8:43 am
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Speaking only for myself, I believe one of the biggest reasons that that the "No Damascus/Laminated steel" rule was implemented was honestly because a number of individuals, frankly, were being jerks. Individuals would make damascus or laminated steel, do a very poor job of it, present it at the Judging for JS, then when they failed, they would whine and complain....."But it's Damascus!" "I made Damascus!" But what they didn't want to hear was that it was literally crap damascus.

I was personally present as a judge on 3 such occasions, and in all 3 instances, the individuals threw a fit, and caused a ruckus because they had failed...and in all 3 cases what they called "Damascus", I would call "scrap"..... obvious flaws, delaminations, and/or just overall very poor quality.

All that being said, IF you decide to ignore the rules, and show up for either the Performance or the Presentation phases of the test with any blade that could even be remotely interpreted as having been laminated, or forge welded, the best you can expect is a refusal to test or judge. With most Mastersmiths, they will simply mark it as a Fail, and then you have to wait to retest.

If achieving JS is the goal, my advice is to move to another steel that can be obtained in sizes you need. 5160 is an EASY steel to use for passing the JS performance test. I've also had individuals pass with 1080, 1084, 1095, and most recently, 52100.

As Mike said....

It "means" exactly what it says

If you try to "skirt" the rules, you do so at your own peril.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 25/06/2017 4:20 pm
Share: