Don't Let The Scammers Get You

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Cindy Sheely
Topic starter

HI All,

I have the following information from Bill Herndon asked me to post for him:

You may want to print this little note about a scam that almost got me!

Last quarter of 2014 I got an order from Italy for 30 knives. Replied and quoted a price! Quick come back w/o any request for quantity discount. "Strange"! Took his cards # which was issued in CA but Area code on charge was NC. "Again Strange!"

So I got the guys $6000 in the bank and ordered water cut on 50 blades, 30 for him and 20 for inventory. Made up 50 sheaths and started lay out and grinding, calculated weight estimated at 14 lbs. and inquired about shipping. I was advised the name of shipper in NC and that the charge would be $1700. WOW, That's high I responded! "Yes, but Finland has some tough laws on knives!" (They do!) And send the money for freight, now!" Can' do that, I responded! Told my wife I was very nervous about this deal but couldn't figure out how he was going to cheat me but was sure he would! Well about that time I stuck my thumb in the table saw and cut it right down the middle to the quick. (Ugly and $ - Amen for insurance - $25,000 [may be they are a Finland outfit]).

Sent the Finland guy a picture of my thumb and told him I was refunding his $. "Oh, don't send it back to me, Send it to my sister in Canada, and keep $1000 for yourself!" Nope Can't do that either! I refunded the funds to the issuing account! Now I got no sale, an ugly sore thumb, and a hell of an inventory. Well half of the knives are sold, 24 in stock, and 30 on the bench! BUT I DIDN'T GET CHEATED!

Told this story to Scott at Tru Grit and he said, "Oh Bill, all he had to do after he got the order, was to say, "This isn't what I ordered!", and the credit card company would have gone into your account taken out the $6000 and you would have been out $1700 in freight, 30 knives, and $6000. Nearly $14,000 bucks! Scott said, "I've had it happen to me and some guy (maybe the same guy) guy just tried it with me around the same time you were approached!!" Beware guys, All the credit card companies, and Pay Pal do this. Bill Herndon - [email protected]

Turns out Joel Worley also had a scam tried on him, also. Just be aware.

Cindy Sheely

ABS Office Manager

(419) 832-0400

[email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

Posted : 05/02/2016 4:12 pm
Share: