Notifications
Clear all

Potential "wounded Warrior" Program

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

Hi All: I was approached a few days ago by an active duty senior NCO who does some smithing in his garage at Ft. Belvoir, asking for help in setting up a

presentation for Army brass on Bladesmithing, as apparently He has done a great job of talking up smithing as a a potential ancillary treatment for PTSD.(my professional opinion is: "Great Idea!" why didn't I think of this?")

I was approached because I am one of the few medical doctors who has his own shop, and by coincidence, Ft. Belvoir in Virginia is where I spent my two years on active duty defending the country against the Viet Cong as a member of the medical corps.

Personally I think this could fly, but I was in the Army too long to get my hopes up, knowing what happens to new ideas.

However, if this does go anywhere we are going to need a few anvils and at least one power hammer, and of course the army would rather refurbish M1A1 Abrams than reluctantly spend money on the Vets, so this is going to be piloted on a shoe string if it goes anywhere at all.

If this works out at some level The ABS might want to help as the publicity should be great.

Bottom Line: Please be prepared to hear from me asking for donations.

Thanks! Sandy Klein

Posted : 01/11/2014 5:49 pm
Joshua States

OK. Sounds like a good idea. Keep the forum updated.

My first reaction is that you would probably have more luck getting volunteers to teach or lend a shop space or supplies rather than permanently donate anvils and a power hammer. (if that's what you had in mind)

The ABS or one of the schools might even be able to host a seminar of sorts. I would suggest contacting the facilities directly and seeing what can be arranged.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 19/11/2014 11:32 pm
Admin_DJC305

The ABS Board of Directors is involved and has already unanimously voted to provide assistance to this important program. We have it under control and are in direct contact with those conducting the program to determine their needs.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 20/11/2014 12:51 am

I was wondering if there is an update to this program or any like it? Also who is the point of contact for interested beterans?

Posted : 05/11/2016 12:45 am
Admin_DJC305

Shawn

Contact ABS Chairman Harvey Dean for current information.

Harvey's email is [email protected]

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 05/11/2016 10:06 am
Share: