Notifications
Clear all

Introduction To Bladesmithing Spring 2016

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I would like to thank Brion Tomberlin, Mike Williams, and Don McIntosh, the ABS and the Texarkana College for providing a very rounded and educational 2 weeks of instruction. You could not ask for better instructors. They were patient, kind, and humorous. They did not hold back on any information or instruction. After this class you should have a solid foundation to build on. All of the students were interested and focused and I hope we can remain friends for years to come. Thanks again to all involved.

Anthony Griggs

Posted : 12/03/2016 6:15 pm
Admin_DJC305

Anthony

I am glad to hear that you had a good class and learning experience at the Moran School of Bladesmithing at Texarkana College. You had some outstanding instructors.

I forwarded a copy of your kind comments to the ABS Board of Directors.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 12/03/2016 8:00 pm
BrionTomberlin

Anthony, you are very welcome and thank you. It was a good class with good students. It was good to see you again. That it the thing that really make these classes. Not only the instruction but the friends you make. It is an experience you do not forget. Get in touch with me if you have any questions or need something.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 12/03/2016 11:15 pm
Mike Williams

A thank you Anthony, and the class; from me as well. A great bunch of guys. We worked hard, laughed at ourselves and made some great cutting blades.

Not many classes that I would have liked to do another week with but this was one of those.

Now back to the grind!!!!

Mike

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 13/03/2016 7:31 am

My first post here.

I have to agree with Anthony. The class was very informative and at the same time hands on. Both instructors were very willing to explain processes and answer our questions no matter how trivial they were.

Much thanks to both Brion and Mike for making it a great learning experience. I agree with Mike about staying another week. This definitely moved me ahead in my learning curve.

Russell

Posted : 13/03/2016 3:13 pm

I agree with Anthony as well. I enjoyed the class very much. Learned more than I will retain and the instructors, well, we couldn't have asked for better ones in my opinion. Each brought a unique perspective to knife making. Both complimented each other and gave us students the confidence to step forward and live a dream.

Thank you!

Posted : 13/03/2016 8:43 pm
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith

First, I have to say thanks to both Brion “Too Tall” Tomberlin and Mike Williams. They were generous with their knowledge and willing to answer any and all of our questions. Sometimes very directly, sometimes through demonstration, and sometimes through a “Mike story”. Dusty at the Williams tavern informed us on day one that Mike likes to tell stories and boy was she right. I took 25 pages of notes on bladesmithing and I am sure it’s going to take a long time to digest and put to use so much information.

Second, all of the students of this class were a real pleasure to work with. I am sure I’ll keep in touch with several of them. Most had some knife making experience and were willing to share what they knew with the class. As a matter of fact, almost every waking moment was occupied by some aspect of bladesmithing. We talked knives from the time we got up until we went to bed. It was a total immersion into the knife world.

Weekends were no exception. We were introduced to Billy Hicks who stopped by on Saturday to give an impromptu class on wire inlay to those of us who were interested. A big thank you to Billy.

Additionally, there are a number of people who work at the Washington Historic Park who welcome the ABS students. Ernie Cox at the gun museum, Dave at the blacksmith shop, the entire staff at the Williams tavern just to name a few. Everyone was genuinely happy to see our class. They made the experience that much better.

I guess you can say that the Intro to Bladesmithing class is more than showing up for a few days and hammering some hot metal and calling it a knife. It was much more, and I for one will not forget the experience or the people.

If you are on the fence about whether you attend the class or not, don’t hesitate. Go!

Dan Weddle

By the way Mike, I will try to keep my “Stinkin Lizard Brain” in check and let my rational brain keep me out of trouble.

Posted : 16/03/2016 10:20 am
Lin Rhea

I'm happy to see that all of you guys enjoyed the class. I wish I could have been able to be a fly on the wall for some of Mike's stories. My buddy, Brian Sirak, was there and he brought back some fine blades as well as some tales of the class.

Daniel, your description of the class and the whole experience was nostalgic to me. You're right. The whole town seems to really welcome the students and teachers and that sure makes for a pleasant time.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 16/03/2016 1:39 pm
BrionTomberlin

Thank you all, it was a pleasure. There is so much you can learn in these classes, a lot to take in. You all did good. Dan, I can hear Mike saying that. "Stinkin lizard brain", thats funny right there.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 16/03/2016 9:07 pm

I would like to add another thanks to the whole class. everyone brought something to the table and it made for a great learning environment. It was such a great experience and sharing it with this group of guys was an honor. I feel like I made lifetime friends, couldn't have asked for a better group of guys.

Both Brion and Mike were great instructors and really seemed to make it a priority to share as much information as we could ever hope to learn, all aspects of bladesmithing were covered, from the business side to the fine details of fit and finish. This class ended up being far more than an intro class. I thoroughly enjoyed both Master Smiths perspectives on bladesmithing and life in general.

The small town of Washington was great! We met so many great people and they all made us feel welcome.

If you are on the fence weather or not to take this class, TAKE IT!

Thanks again to all the people that make this class happen.

Tucker Parris

TAPForge.com

Posted : 21/03/2016 11:28 am

Hello All,

I finally got signed up and on the forums. I would also like to say I really enjoyed the entire learning experience of this Introduction class. The instructors were patient and a pleasure to work with. I really enjoyed getting to know the people in the class and watching everyone as they progressed through the two weeks. I don't know about the rest of you, but I plan to go back for the Hammer-in in a couple of weeks. And I agree with Tucker, if you are considering taking the class, but are not sure, take it!

Posted : 30/03/2016 6:11 pm
BrionTomberlin

Thanks Mark. I will see you in a few weeks. Going to be a good weekend.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 30/03/2016 10:05 pm

Well I thought I posted to this thread yesterday, but for some reason I don't see it. Anyway, turns out I'm not going to be able to make the hammer-in after all. Hope everyone else has a great time. Looks like there will be lots of great class.

Mark

Posted : 08/04/2016 9:29 am
Share: