Clear all

New England School Of Metalwork

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
19.4 K Views
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

The New England School of Metalwork is a full 501C 3 non-profit educational facility devoted to the promotion and strengthening of metalworking skills. It is located in beautiful Auburn, Maine, near the coast. The concept of the school was developed by Maine Oxy and Dereck Glaser, a local artisan metalsmith. After several years of individuals inquiring about ornamental and artistic metal working instruction the decision was made to build the school. They set to the task of designing and planning an metalworking studio/lab with forging, blacksmithing, metal sculpture and welding technologies as the main source of inspiration.

The bladesmithing studio at the New England School of Metalwork has been designed to integrate both traditional and contemporary tooling. With full quantities of tools and equipment to accommodate up to seven students, each of the four large coal forges and three gas forges are established as their own forging stations. Only a few steps away in any direction you will find two treadle hammers and two pneumatic power hammers, post vises, belt grinders and racks of hand tools. Their ever growing assortment of traditional hand and power tools provide the student with the tooling required for many processes.

Contact Dereck Glaser, Metalsmithing Program Director, for more information at (207)777-3375 or Email Dereck

[media] http://www.youtube.c...h?v=M0edK9qWwbQ [/media]

[media] http://www.youtube.c...be_gdata_player [/media]

Class Schedule for 2015

March 2-13 - ABS Introduction to Bladesmithing - Instructor, Jim Crowell, Master Smith

June 15-26 - ABS Introduction to Bladesmithing - Instructor, Steve Culver, Master Smith

July 10-12 ABS Hammer-In

July 13-17 ABS Handles and Guards- Instructor TBA

November 2-13 - ABS Introduction to Bladesmithing - Instructor, Brion Tomberlin, Master Smith

Contact Dereck Glaser, Metalsmithing Program Director, for more information at (207)777-3375 or Email Dereck

Master Smith Kevin Cashen is the ABS School Liason for NESM and can be contacted at [email protected]

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 08/02/2010 10:06 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

I was in contact with Master Smith Lin Rhea today and understand that there is one (1) space still available for the Handles and Guards class that will be held on July 18-22 at the New England School of Metalwork in Auburn, Maine. Lin will be the instructor and you are encouraged to contact him by email at [email protected] with any questions about the class. To enroll contact Dereck Glaser at the New England School of Metalwork at [email protected]

Lin Rhea will also be one of the demonstrators at the ABS New England Hammer-In the weekend before at the the New England School of Metalwork in Auburn, Maine and will be demonstrating the making of a Journeyman Smith performance test knife. I might note that Lin is a former National Cutting Champion and so this demonstration alone would be a good reason to attend the Hammer-In in July.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 14/04/2011 6:26 pm
BrionTomberlin

I second Dan's advice. Lin is a very good instructor and demonstrator, plus he is a really nice person. He is probably blushing now. I wish I could be there.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 14/04/2011 10:48 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

I just received notification that Master Smith Mike Williams will be the instructor for the the two week (ten days) Introduction to Bladesmithing Class - November 5 - 16, 2012 at the New England School of Metalwork in Auburn, Maine. Mike is an outstanding teacher and has been a Judge for many years on the Journeyman Smith Judging Panel.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 27/02/2012 4:44 pm
Mike Williams

I look forward to meeting some of our fellow bladesmiths from the northeast. We shall do some forging; maybe a lot of forging! We will also do quite a bit on heat treating and grinding. Basically anything you need to build a blade to pass a cut and bend test.

You gentlemen or ladies who have sighned up or are thinking of doing so; if you have any questions or there is something specific you want to go over; sing out and we'll see about getting it done.

We will cover a lot of ground but we will have a blast doing it!

mike

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 28/02/2012 7:19 am
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

We just received this email today from Dereck Glaser at the New England School of Metalwork in Auburn, Maine.

Hello All Metalsmithing Fans,

Just a quick note that all of our Winter Session offerings for 2012

through April of 2013 are scheduled and open for enrollment at this time.

Our catalog will be going out in the mail stream this week so if there are

some workshops you have been looking forward to taking or trying to get in,

now is your chance.

We have listed all the Blacksmithing courses in chronological order rather

than by month under the Winter page, so at a glance you will see all of them

and Bladesmithing and Casting are on their own pages as usual.

As always, if you have any particular thoughts or feelings about our

offerings or suggestions for future workshops, let us know, if you are

interested in a topic then I am sure there are several others who may share

the same interest.

Thanks and enjoy the end of our warm summer days.

Dereck Glaser

New England School of Metalwork

Administrative Director

Metalsmithing Program Director

Resident Blacksmith

7 Albiston Way

Auburn, Maine 04210

207-777-3375

fax 207-514-1562

[email protected]

http://www.dereckglaser.com/

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 21/09/2012 9:05 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

ABS Chairman Joe Keeslar has appointed and Master Smith Kevin Cashen has accepted the position as the new ABS School Liason with the New England School of Metalwork in Auburn, Maine. Master Smith Kevin Cashen can be contacted at [email protected]

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 04/06/2013 10:31 am
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 28/05/2014 9:30 am
New Member Guest

Cool! ....but the ABS Intro class in June isn't listed?

Posted : 28/05/2014 4:08 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Phil

As far as I know the Intro to Bladesmithing Class is still set for 6/16 - 6/27 with Master Smith Mike Williams.

If interested in the Class please contact Dereck at NESM.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 28/05/2014 11:08 pm
New Member Guest

Not sure why it isn't on the schedule you just posted. Anyway, last I heard it was full. Alas wouldn't you know it...this summer I'm traveling with my family to meet up with our daughter in Europe who just completed a semester of college studies abroad in Madrid. Hope to make it to the hammer-in in July at NESMW though.

Posted : 29/05/2014 4:27 am
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

The New England School of Metalwork has announced their ABS approved class schedule for 2015. Please contact Dereck Glaser to register or for more information at [email protected] or call (207) 777-3375.

2015 ABS Class Schedule

March 2-13 - ABS Introduction to Bladesmithing - Instructor, Jim Crowell, Master Smith

June 15-26 - ABS Introduction to Bladesmithing - Instructor, Steve Culver, Master Smith

July 10-12 ABS Hammer-In

July 13-17 ABS Handles and Guards- Instructor TBA

November 2-13 - ABS Introduction to Bladesmithing - Instructor, Brion Tomberlin, Master Smith

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 23/10/2014 10:53 am
Share: