Black Oxide Treatme...

Notifications
Clear all

Black Oxide Treatments On Things I Want To Throw In A Canister

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Well I had to order some machine screws to because I needed to replace the ones holding my Atlus mini forges burner in place, and then I needed to replace a retaining ring on my Palmgren 2" x 42" Belt, 6" Disc bench finishing machine and I just bought packs on amazon. so well i will be keeping some just in case... I still have a LOT of little things that are screaming at me: Throw us into a canister. however, they have undergone a black oxide treatment. I know form throwing some rusty stuff into a canister that normal rust will not inhibit welding prosses, however, I am not sure if the same can be said for a black oxide. so do I need to strip off the black oxide treatment before I toss them in a canister or can i just toss them into a canister?

Thank you for your time

Sincerely

Kevin J Stinson

PS: if I see a question posted by a fellow apprentice that I know the answer to is it ok for me to answer that question? I have developed a bit of a reputation on Facebook for arrogance do to the fact that when I do answer something in a group or offer a critique I do not think to say or feel I should even have to that I can not tell if my own work is good because I only see flaws in it which is the truth. So I wanted to ask if it was ok that I answer a question I see here when I come on to check responses to my questions or read responses to something I have posted in another part of the form. i also hesitate to even post something in the other sections because I am just an apprentice and I have only been doing this for 4 years August.

Posted : 24/03/2020 8:17 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Anything other than "bare steel" MIGHT cause problem in a "can". With all the time, effort, and materials utilize in creating a "can", I find it best to err on the side of caution, and NOT put anything in there that might cause issues.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 25/03/2020 8:40 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Anything other than "bare steel" MIGHT cause problem in a "can". With all the time, effort, and materials utilize in creating a "can", I find it best to err on the side of caution, and NOT put anything in there that might cause issues.

Your right rust can cause problems. It looks like I will be spending a lot of time cleaning up the screws with my Dremel tool as I can strip most of the retaining rings using a handle magnet and grinder. well the next step is to see how the materials etch as to determine what kind of powdered steel i should be using. if they etch bright i should use eather 1084 or 1095 which i do not have right now. however, if the etch dark I can make a small canister as I have some 4600KC sitting in the shop.

Posted : 25/03/2020 3:50 pm
Joshua States

|quoted:

PS: if I see a question posted by a fellow apprentice that I know the answer to is it ok for me to answer that question? I have developed a bit of a reputation on Facebook for arrogance do to the fact that when I do answer something in a group or offer a critique I do not think to say or feel I should even have to that I can not tell if my own work is good because I only see flaws in it which is the truth. So I wanted to ask if it was ok that I answer a question I see here when I come on to check responses to my questions or read responses to something I have posted in another part of the form. i also hesitate to even post something in the other sections because I am just an apprentice and I have only been doing this for 4 years August.

I do not see any reason why you cannot answer questions from other folks if you have something useful to add to the conversation.

Something to keep in mind with online forums and social media posts, is that there is no "tone of voice" in written words, so it's is up to the reader to interpret how something is being said unless you write some clarification of your point of view.

This can often lead to misunderstandings and bad feelings.

I try to remember to preface my posts with short statements like "I think that", "When I tried this", or even "I may be insane, but". I don't always remember to do it, but it does help phrase your statements in a way as to emphasize that you are not posing as an "expert" or a know it all.

"The biggest problem in communication, is the illusion that it has taken place" - George Bernard Shaw

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 26/03/2020 10:22 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

I do not see any reason why you cannot answer questions from other folks if you have something useful to add to the conversation.

Something to keep in mind with online forums and social media posts, is that there is no "tone of voice" in written words, so it's is up to the reader to interpret how something is being said unless you write some clarification of your point of view.

This can often lead to misunderstandings and bad feelings.

I try to remember to preface my posts with short statements like "I think that", "When I tried this", or even "I may be insane, but". I don't always remember to do it, but it does help phrase your statements in a way as to emphasize that you are not posing as an "expert" or a know it all.

"The biggest problem in communication, is the illusion that it has taken place" - George Bernard Shaw

thank you for the advice I will be sure to remember it.

Posted : 29/03/2020 9:03 pm
Topic starter

PS: forgot to ask this as I originally meant to ask if I can very, very, carefully use muriatic acid to strip the black oxide treatment from metal. I saw this method used on one of big dog forge's videos.

Posted : 11/04/2020 1:24 pm
Joshua States

I have no idea if that will work or not. The only black oxide treatments I have used are Birchwood Casey (Aluminum Black and Brass Black) and Caswell's Black Oxide. I have never had the desitre to remove any of it after the fact except for sanding it off of surfaces I accidently got it on.

What kind of black oxide finish are you working with?

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 12/04/2020 12:16 am
Share: