Blacksmith Question...

Notifications
Clear all

Blacksmith Question: Clasps

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I know its not blades bit i need help. explanation: So I thought I had everything I needed to make a leather dog collar for my dog as she seems to be allergic to whatever it is dog collars are made from however I do not have a 1-inch clasp in the large leatherworking kit I got from a family friend, nore did i get any in the starter kit i bought because i was missing a few key tools. i was planning on just ordering one when it hit me that i own a forge and can make a clasp myself for a lot cheaper. I have a thin bar of twist damascus i have been holding on to for an experiment in making a 7 bar twist of seven twisted bars and am now just going to use it to make the clasp. however, i am not quite sure if i should harden a clasp or not. i do not have a 75Lbs dog so i feel i should harden the clasp i am not sure if i should harden the entire thing or just the thinggy that goes threw your belts hole (i have no clue what its called) i also will likely need to harden the thinggy you attach a leash to. Please help as i am not sure if I just need a perlitic structure on the clasp and leash attachment or if I need tempered martensite.

Thank you for your time.

Posted : 02/12/2019 10:54 pm
Lin Rhea

If you decide to harden it, just draw it back more than a blade. Mind you, I don't think it needs to be hard at all but if you do harden, draw it back. Hi carbon steel tends to be stiffer even in an unhardened state, just after air cooling.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 03/12/2019 9:27 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

If you decide to harden it, just draw it back more than a blade. Mind you, I don't think it needs to be hard at all but if you do harden, draw it back. Hi carbon steel tends to be stiffer even in an unhardened state, just after air cooling.

Thank you. Ill use the perlitic structure then. I am likely overthinking this, but i have dogs that way 72+LBS so they are heavy and i do not want the leash attachment to bend.

Posted : 03/12/2019 1:56 pm
Share: