Can 80Crv2 Take A D...

Notifications
Clear all

Can 80Crv2 Take A Decent Hamon?

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have gotten hamon on Ford leaf spring by using a thick application of clay and I get the impression based on the current batch of NJSB's alloy readout thingy (do not know what its called) and the fact that it requires a slower speed oil like AAA it's a deep hardening steel so I am not sure if it would take a strong hamon. given i personally feel clay quenching is a bit gentler on steel. Now as I currently understand the quench clay is gent on steel because it slows down the cooling rate by a large factor by adding a few seconds. I have actually added a full 30 seconds to a water quench once given I was not working with a steel that was rated for water and it got some cool C shaped cracks at the tip and let me be able to identify a crack...yet still did not break when chopping threw a 3/4 x4 oak board, but did once i tapped it with a light hammer on the flat. I think the reason it did not break when striking the oak is its do to the fact that most blades are strongest going edge to spine yet weakest at the flats because of the geometry of a blade has the thickness going from the spine to edge being thicker than the spine to flat. kinda rambled there sorry. so doe 80CRV2 take a strong hamon?

Posted : 29/06/2020 2:26 pm
BrionTomberlin

Kevin, 80crv2 can take a hamon due to having around .5% manganese. However that is when quenched in parks 50. 80crv2 does best when full quenched in parks AAA. For a hamon you would prefer a steel with less than .4% manganese Will 80crv2 take a strong hamon, not really. Again 80crv2 is best when full quenched.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 29/06/2020 8:19 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

|quoted:

Kevin, 80crv2 can take a hamon due to having around .5% manganese. However that is when quenched in parks 50. 80crv2 does best when full quenched in parks AAA. For a hamon you would prefer a steel with less than .4% manganese Will 80crv2 take a strong hamon, not really. Again 80crv2 is best when full quenched.

Brion

In my experience you get a LOT of alloy banding in any hamon in 80crv2, not the best look most of the time.

MP

Posted : 30/06/2020 7:53 am
Topic starter

thanks to both of you, will just keep doing threw hardness in my AAA.

Posted : 01/07/2020 5:09 am
Topic starter

PS: doesn't the amount of chromium in a type of steel also affect the outcome of a hamon?

Posted : 18/07/2020 3:56 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

chrome effects the depth of hardening so yes it will effect hamon however the amount of Manganese has a greater effect.

MP

Posted : 19/07/2020 12:19 pm
Topic starter

thank you for answering

Posted : 21/07/2020 1:29 pm
Share: