Ever See A Rail Spi...

Notifications
Clear all

Ever See A Rail Spike Knife Like This?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

I call this a Japanese Railspike knife because I made it using the Japanese style of a high carbon jacket over a low carbon core. the blade is 14 inches long and this one is my first attempt which is why it looks so crude. I plan on writing a guide for how to do this from making the jig I used to get the U shape to the finished knife and would like to submit it to be posted on the website. I am wondering just what the prosses is for doing this is and if I am even eligible as I am still just a lowly apprentice. PS: for the guide, I will be using a prettier blade as the finished knife.

Attached files

Posted : 15/03/2019 7:47 pm
Lin Rhea

Kevin, I applaud your efforts. I am sure you worked hard on it. Do you have photos of the jig you mentioned?

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 19/03/2019 7:54 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Kevin, I applaud your efforts. I am sure you worked hard on it. Do you have photos of the jig you mentioned?

First off sorry it took me 10 days to reply to this I have not been diligent in checking my abs folder of my email. I do have a few shots but will go with a top-down one for now. I actually rushed a bit with this one and plan on just making a couple more that are also straiter as soonish. I happen to have a welder so I welded it but I think you can make one old school by riveting/pinning it in like a Viking lobed pommel and I plan on attempting to make one this way as well. I mainly want to write the guide cause its a unique twist on Japanese bladesmithing and the most common laminating method for a Japanese blade . its also just a unique twist to the railspike knife that i acutally think i am the first to try and was wondering if anyone else has attempted this crazy idea i had after reading the craft of the Japanese sword. I actually plan on trying a Hon-sanmai version of this blade soon as i bough 20 spikes to play with.

Attached files

Posted : 30/03/2019 12:40 am
Share: