Notifications
Clear all

Forging Question

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

Good evening everyone I hope this finds you all doing well! I have a question regarding the initial forging. The style of knife I am trying to forge is a camp knife for my journeyman smith practice test blade. The steel I am using is 5160 1/4x1 1/2 purchased from Jantz supply. When you are forging the point down how far are you tapering down the spine of the blade? I cant seem to get the angle right because it continually turns into something in the form of a clip point vs the spear point I am looking to achieve. Thank you all very much for your help! safe forging!

Posted : 29/07/2018 10:36 pm
Trusted Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I forged very little taper in my performance knife. The idea being that I wanted the bend to be across the length of the blade and it seems that any taper would cause the bend to be more concentrated in the taper. As for the tip style that is something you will have to learn how to control with your hammer and technique. You could try upsetting the end then forging the tip again.

Posted : 30/07/2018 7:31 am
Lin Rhea

Devan, My suggestion is to get on social media and follow a few really good bladesmiths who are good at forging. Nick Rossi, Jim Crowell, Mike, Quesenberry, or the Desrosiers. Watching the techniques they use will answer the question much better. I know that a video is out there of that very thing. I think by Nick Rossi.

As for the taper, I think some attention should be given the taper whether distal taper or profile taper.... or both. In 10 inches it doesn't have to be extreme, but a little will help as far as geometry goes. The rest is up to the heat treat.

I will point out that these issues are very basic to bladesmithing and I suggest taking an intro course if you haven't already and re instill these basics if you are considering taking the JS performance test.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 30/07/2018 8:16 am
New Member Guest

|quoted:

I forged very little taper in my performance knife. The idea being that I wanted the bend to be across the length of the blade and it seems that any taper would cause the bend to be more concentrated in the taper. As for the tip style that is something you will have to learn how to control with your hammer and technique. You could try upsetting the end then forging the tip again.

Barry, thank you for the response I will certainly try that out.

Posted : 30/07/2018 9:23 am
New Member Guest

|quoted:

Devan, My suggestion is to get on social media and follow a few really good bladesmiths who are good at forging. Nick Rossi, Jim Crowell, Mike, Quesenberry, or the Desrosiers. Watching the techniques they use will answer the question much better. I know that a video is out there of that very thing. I think by Nick Rossi.

As for the taper, I think some attention should be given the taper whether distal taper or profile taper.... or both. In 10 inches it doesn't have to be extreme, but a little will help as far as geometry goes. The rest is up to the heat treat.

I will point out that these issues are very basic to bladesmithing and I suggest taking an intro course if you haven't already and re instill these basics if you are considering taking the JS performance test.

Lin, thank you for the advice I certainly plan to attend an intro course but I am having to wait until one of the courses that will be at Haywood next year becomes available. I will be at the fall piney woods hammer in this year and it will be my first one so I am hoping to learn a lot. Thank you all for your time and I will check them out of social media!

Posted : 30/07/2018 9:30 am
BrionTomberlin

Devan I look forward to seeing you at the hammer in. I will second Lins advice. In particular check out Nick Rossis videos on you tube. Nick goes into great detail in his videos. Pay attention to how he is hitting, the direction of the hammer face, and also where he is hitting. Nick is very good at moving metal. Also check out Lins videos for the same type of information.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 30/07/2018 7:57 pm
New Member Guest

|quoted:

Devan I look forward to seeing you at the hammer in. I will second Lins advice. In particular check out Nick Rossis videos on you tube. Nick goes into great detail in his videos. Pay attention to how he is hitting, the direction of the hammer face, and also where he is hitting. Nick is very good at moving metal. Also check out Lins videos for the same type of information.

Brion

Brion, Thank you for your time. I found Nicks video on the fighter knife he forged for NESM and it clarified a lot of my questions in just the one video. I noticed right away some of the areas where I was making mistakes. I purchased Bill Morans book on Knifemaking/Damascus from the ABS store and I have been wanting to make that particular style of knife along with a camp knife so it helped very much. Again thank you all very much for your time and help!

Posted : 30/07/2018 10:55 pm
Share: