Notifications
Clear all

Hand Sanding Hollow Ground

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hey friends. I'm wondering what jigs you use for handsanding a hollow ground blade. Currently I'm working on making a sanding stick with the same radius as my contact wheel by trying to line it up. Any pictures of your jigs are appreciated.

Thanks,

Travis<><

Posted : 15/07/2020 6:43 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

That is pretty much all I use. I have a few sanding blocks cut to the radius of my wheels. I will do the plunges with riffing files and stones if I need to even them up, i generally do the plunges with stones out to 1200 then hand sand the rest of the blade and pull my lines through he plunges. of course if it is a swept plunge that doesn't apply.

Posted : 16/07/2020 11:41 am
Joshua States

I use a variety of soft and pliable sanding blocks. Erasers you can buy at most drug stores or supermarkets in the stationary/school supplies section. The different colors have different hardness. I also bought a sheet of 3/16 inch thick rubber sheet from MSC or Grainger (I forget which). I cut a disc out of it for my disc sander and cut a few pieces to make sanding sticks. Another thing I did for large radius hollows was taking a tube of caulk (buy at any home improvement store) and cutting it open down the length. Then I let it sit on the bench for a few weeks. It dried out perfectly solid.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 16/07/2020 3:13 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate it very much. Matt, what do you mean by Stones? Sharpening stones?

Thanks,

Travis<><

Posted : 18/07/2020 11:05 pm
Matthew Parkinson

finishing stones, these are the ones I use. I bought a selection, and use then for specific things. https://www.gesswein.com/c-144-finishing-stones.aspx

I know some guys like them for general finishing, but I prefer the rhino wet for flats and most finishing. Where the stones really shine for me is in carvings for shaped file worked bolsters in integrals.

Posted : 19/07/2020 12:12 pm
Evan Cihak

|quoted:

finishing stones, these are the ones I use. I bought a selection, and use then for specific things. https://www.gesswein...ing-stones.aspx

I know some guys like them for general finishing, but I prefer the rhino wet for flats and most finishing. Where the stones really shine for me is in carvings for shaped file worked bolsters in integrals.

Matt,

This is the second time recently that I've heard talk about using polishing stones to finish a knife. Could you explain a little more about which ones you use and why?

Thank you

Evan

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 21/07/2020 8:36 am
Matthew Parkinson

|quoted:

Matt,

This is the second time recently that I've heard talk about using polishing stones to finish a knife. Could you explain a little more about which ones you use and why?

Thank you

Evan

I bought a set that had a selections of different kinds of stones and grits. I use then in places and for things that sand paper doesn't work well for. they are friable so they stones will conform to a shape, but you can still sculpt with then a little bit. cleaning up sculpted shapes like inside curves on bolster , or swept lines seem to be were they shine. I use soapy water with them and work through the grits just as I would with sand paper. The ones I use the most are 1/2"/1/8" and around 6" long. I know a lot of guys that use then for just general finishing. JD Smith is the one that pushed me to try them for that, and they work really well but I found that the Rhinowet ended up being faster for large areas.

MP

Posted : 21/07/2020 10:37 am
Share: