Notifications
Clear all

Handles?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Is there anyway to fix this? Its ironwood.

Attached files

Posted : 08/01/2020 1:54 pm
Evan Cihak
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

|quoted:

Is there anyway to fix this? Its ironwood.

Hi Brian,

I've used this method before- it's not fool-proof, but it does give you somewhere to start. You can take some wood glue and mix it up with saw dust from the handle in question (it should be the same wood, or similar). That will create a patch you can apply to the affected area. If the patch doesn't look the same right off, you can use a stain pen from a big box store to get the shade you want, then try the wood treatment you used to seal the handle, if you used one at all.

-Evan

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 08/01/2020 5:16 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Hi Brian,

I've used this method before- it's not fool-proof, but it does give you somewhere to start. You can take some wood glue and mix it up with saw dust from the handle in question (it should be the same wood, or similar). That will create a patch you can apply to the affected area. If the patch doesn't look the same right off, you can use a stain pen from a big box store to get the shade you want, then try the wood treatment you used to seal the handle, if you used one at all.

-Evan

I should just take the handle off and put another one on. But I mixed some accraglass and ironwood dust and put it in there. Im just gonna see what happens. This knife was originally about 9" long. But due to some micro cracking with the 52100. Its now quite a bit shorter. This one is going to be a personal kitchen knife.

Posted : 08/01/2020 8:17 pm
Karl B. Andersen

It's a bummer when that happens. Even worse when it's large.

I just don't use it. Get another one.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 09/01/2020 8:39 am
Kevin R. Cashen

Ahh, the curse of ironwood block users. At $50 to $80 a pop for exhibition grade, I can't tell you how many dollars I have thrown in trash when a gorgeous block, that I planned an entire knife around, revealed a huge void when I started shaping it.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 09/01/2020 2:52 pm
Topic starter

Heres my patch job. This one is staying in my kitchen.So Im just gonna leave it alone. And move on to the next one. As many problems I had with that 52100. But now I know to not quench into Parks 50. Maybe the next round will be better.

Attached files

Posted : 09/01/2020 5:27 pm
Karl B. Andersen

|quoted:

Ahh, the curse of ironwood block users. At $50 to $80 a pop for exhibition grade, I can't tell you how many dollars I have thrown in trash when a gorgeous block, that I planned an entire knife around, revealed a huge void when I started shaping it.

Been there - done that.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 09/01/2020 5:49 pm
Evan Cihak
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

|quoted:

Heres my patch job. This one is staying in my kitchen.So Im just gonna leave it alone. And move on to the next one. As many problems I had with that 52100. But now I know to not quench into Parks 50. Maybe the next round will be better.

Not Bad!

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 10/01/2020 12:05 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Looks like a pretty good repair!

Posted : 12/01/2020 1:27 am
Share: