Hot Cutting/chiseli...

Notifications
Clear all

Hot Cutting/chiseling A Tip Vs Forging A Tip

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have been experimenting with Hot chiseling a tip then shaping it instead of forging a point then and grinding a profile and honestly I enjoy the former more. So I am wondering if there is any benefit to ether of the methods.

Posted : 20/02/2021 2:06 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

In very thin stock it can be help full to slash cut the point before forging the blade but it makes no real difference in mono steel. For me forging in the point is at most two heats, so it isn't really a time saver to cut the point other than in really thin stock that wants to fold over.

now in damascus that changes , depending on what I want the pattern to do at the point the method I use will change, for instance if I want the pattern to follow the edge and run off the spine I'll slash cut the point, in mosaic if I want the pattern to compress but not get stretched way out I will forge the width then cut or grind the thickness out before finish forging the blade.

I don't think there is right or wrong , just tools in the tool box.

MP

Posted : 21/02/2021 11:46 am
Joshua States

Basically, what Matthew said with one added bit. I like forging the tip rather than cutting first and forging from the cut point. Forging the tip down allows me to push mass into the tip area and get a thicker cross section to draw down into the bevel. I find this especially usefull if I plan on forging a clipped point, like on a Bowie. It gives me plenty of steel out there to bevel the clip into.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 21/02/2021 9:22 pm
Topic starter

To make sure i understand right its a depends on what you're doing, what your skilled at doing and what you enjoy doing thing kinda thing.

Posted : 24/02/2021 3:27 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

yeah that pretty much sums it up.

I have reasons for using either method in different situations, another smith might make different choices.

MP

Posted : 25/02/2021 9:51 am
Share: