How Often Should Yo...

Notifications
Clear all

How Often Should You Oil Carbon Steel Blades

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

so I am currently using a 1075 blade I made with a stabilized paracord wrap. as I am quite obsessed with hamons I have it lightly etched. The blade also has a

Renaissance wax coating on it as it's my habit to always coat a blade I make with the stuff. I am in the habit of always washing and fully drying it with a propper towel, generally between ingredients, and when I am done with the knife. I have not seen any signs of rust so far but better safe than sorry.

So I am wondering how often I need to oil it, especially since I am hoping to start selling my work in the near future and I like to include written instructions of care for the blade.

I also prefer working with simple carbon steels and am wondering how often I should be oiling them along with damascus to prevent rusting as the Renaissance wax likely will get removed with use.

Side Note: for those who are wondering I stabilized my paracord by coating the wrap a mix of west systems 105 epoxies and 205 hardener using the celebrated pumps. I am learning various wraps from the book Paracord Knife Handle Wraps: The Complete Guide, from Tactical to Asian Style. its relatively new being on the market for 3 years this November.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0764354256/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posted : 11/06/2020 7:36 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reference to the para-cord book, just ordered it on Amazon.

Matt

Instagram @drunken.bladesmith

Posted : 12/06/2020 12:36 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reference to the para-cord book, just ordered it on Amazon.

Matt

your welcome.

Posted : 12/06/2020 7:39 pm
Share: