Question About Were...

Notifications
Clear all

Question About Were To Place A Pin On Japanese Style Blade

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Ok I used the search function and could not find this information on the form. so for a traditional Japanese blade how far from the blade is the pin placed. I enjoy the Japanese approach to handles in general were you can swap out Parts of a hilt if you do not like the look so i plan to and have on apply this to my hidden tang blades.

So I am wondering if there is a general rule to were you place a pin. Right now i am not using bamboo pins im using copper or bronze as that's the stock i have on hand and I like the touch of color. hmm, I'll have to look into getting some bamboo pegs as i may get lucky and find something that will work on amazon.

I am have trouble with getting the resizeing done, as I really do not trust free programs strait from any website, so insted of a picture here is a link of one of my first wood handled blades and my first successful tanto, the shape is that a traditional Hira tanto: http://imgur.com/a/rFw1a

Posted : 30/04/2017 9:22 pm
BrionTomberlin

Kevin there does not seem to be a set distance. It depends on the blade. Katana will have a different length of tang or nakago than a wakizashi or tanto. Usually the placement is a half to two thirds from the end of the nakago. It also depends on the handle or tsuka. Style of mounts will also determine pin (mekugi) placement. Round bamboo chopsticks work well for mekugi.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 01/05/2017 8:43 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Kevin there does not seem to be a set distance. It depends on the blade. Katana will have a different length of tang or nakago than a wakizashi or tanto. Usually the placement is a half to two thirds from the end of the nakago. It also depends on the handle or tsuka. Style of mounts will also determine pin (mekugi) placement. Round bamboo chopsticks work well for mekugi.

Brion

Thank you for the info this is just the information I needed, however i like eating with chopsticks man i haven't done that in years as the local Chinese food place does not seem to have them. however i also do not ask if they do... ok now im hungry for some sesame or orange chicken and am just hungery as i have been doing something i rarely do and have been eating only junk food today.

Posted : 01/05/2017 10:11 pm
Share: