Clear all

Belt Speeds

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have a "loaded" question:

What belt speed should I be using?

I just got my new 2x72 grinder Monday and since I've never had a variable speed grinder before, it's been fun messing around with it. But now I want to learn a little more about how to use it. I have a 3600 rpm 1.5 HP motor and an 8" drive wheel, so my belt speed can go up to ~7500 sfpm if I did my math right?

I've been poking around the "Blade Grinding, Finishing and Sharpening" section and couldn't find what I'm looking for. My actual question is this:

Is there a set of speed ranges to use based on the task? (i.e. material, angle of attack, sharpening, hardened or not, intelligence level?)

I know other factors such as belt material and pressure also play into it, but I guess I'm just looking for some loose guidelines to start off with until I get the feel of things.

Posted : 31/07/2019 4:26 pm

If you want to get the most use out of a ceramic belt you want to go as fast as your grinder can go and heavy pressure or the belt will dull prematurely. As far as aluminum oxide belts, I go what ever speed I feel is safe not to burn the wood that I'm grinding on.

Want to see more of my work follow me on Instagram:JasonVolkertKnives

Want to get in touch with me [email="[email protected]"]Email[/email] me.

Posted : 31/07/2019 7:36 pm
Karl B. Andersen

Jason is correct - you want to go fast with the ceramics and those like it. It's the aggressive pressure and speed that cause the grit pieces to fragment and expose new cutting "teeth". Going too slow with these types of belts simple dull the grit and fill up the voids with swarf.

The basic rule is the less coarse the grit - the slower the speed.

Don't get too technical with FPS and so forth. Comfort and control is an issue.

Sometimes we grind with rests - sometimes not. Flat platens are much different that wheels. They effect belt efficiency differently. In other words, there are a lot of variables not solved by belt speed alone.

So much of what we do is learned in the shop and not on paper. Your abilities, experience, equipment, etc. determine how your tools will be used.

The saying gets old - but - learn what works for you. And you learn by doing.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 31/07/2019 8:28 pm
Joshua States

Karl has the most of it already. I will add one thing to consider which is structured abrasives like the Trizac belts, require a slow speed or they self-destruct. Regardless of the grit.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 31/07/2019 11:30 pm

Great question Andy. I just purchased my first 2x72/VFD as well (coming from a 1x30) and was doing the same research as you. With the first use I immediately noticed the benefit of being able to slow the belt enough to sand end grain on my handles with the finer grit belts with out burning the wood.

I didn't know about the need for speed and aggression for Ceramic belts. I prematurely trashed every one I had purchased in the past. Good to know.

Again..great Question. Thanks.

Posted : 31/07/2019 11:45 pm
Topic starter

Thanks Thomas, Just trying to soak up everything I can from the wealth of knowledge here.

|quoted:

Karl has the most of it already. I will add one thing to consider which is structured abrasives like the Trizac belts, require a slow speed or they self-destruct. Regardless of the grit.

So Joshua, with Trizac (which I have a few on the way) what is the critical failure speed range I should avoid. I've had string slap while bow shooting and that doesn't feel the best, so I can't image that 80 grit belt slap would tickle.

Posted : 01/08/2019 8:40 am
Joshua States

|quoted:

So Joshua, with Trizac (which I have a few on the way) what is the critical failure speed range I should avoid. I've had string slap while bow shooting and that doesn't feel the best, so I can't image that 80 grit belt slap would tickle.

Like Karl said, I don't get hung up on FPS or belt speeds, so I cannot tell you exactly. I can tell you that I have a KMG with a 6 inch drive wheel and a 2 HP motor. I run my Trizac belts at 50% or less on my controller. Usually, I am only using A45 or finer and I run them around 30-40%.

BTW-No, getting slapped in the face with a broken belt running at full tilt is no fun. I had a 36 grit ceramic come apart once. I was glad I wear the goggles, hat, and respirator while grinding.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 01/08/2019 5:45 pm
Topic starter

Sounds good to me, I'll keep playing.

Thanks to all for the replies and stay safe!

Posted : 01/08/2019 7:41 pm
Share: