Notifications
Clear all

Finishing A Blade With Hamon

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

I'm in the process of finishing a blade that I used a torch to add the hamon. I assume I should go back and polish out the frosting caused by the ferric chloride to the pre-etched finish on the blade? I left the blade in the acid for about 10 minutes and the hamon looks good.

As usual thanks for any advice you may offer.

Posted : 18/08/2016 7:04 pm
BrionTomberlin

Joey I appaud you trying the torch method. If you will do a search here on the forum for hamon you will pull up a lot of information. One thread especially to check out is in the topic of the month area. One of those topics deals specifically with hamons with some great info.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 18/08/2016 7:27 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Joey I appaud you trying the torch method. If you will do a search here on the forum for hamon you will pull up a lot of information. One thread especially to check out is in the topic of the month area. One of those topics deals specifically with hamons with some great info.

Brion

Thanks Brion! Lots of good info.

Posted : 18/08/2016 8:38 pm

silicon carbide powder is the trick

Tucker Parris

TAPForge.com

Posted : 24/08/2016 2:37 pm
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

I like to use 7 micron and 3 micron AO powder as follows: Start with 7, then use 3 on entire blade. Etch one more time, clean off oxides and use the 7 micron again on the hamon and hardened area to whiten it up. Also, I use Pikal polish because it tends to whiten the hamon as well. Note here that I mostly have done hamons on 1084 steel. Results may be different on other steels so you may have to play around with it a little.

Attached files

Posted : 26/08/2016 10:28 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I like to use 7 micron and 3 micron AO powder as follows: Start with 7, then use 3 on entire blade. Etch one more time, clean off oxides and use the 7 micron again on the hamon and hardened area to whiten it up. Also, I use Pikal polish because it tends to whiten the hamon as well. Note here that I mostly have done hamons on 1084 steel. Results may be different on other steels so you may have to play around with it a little.

Thanks Ed! Great looking finish.

Posted : 28/08/2016 10:20 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Thanks Ed! Great looking finish.

What's your source of the AO and Pikal Polish?

Posted : 28/08/2016 10:29 am
Topic starter

This is my attempt at a Hill Billy Hambone, as taught by Jim Crowell in the Basic course this past April, using an acetylene torch? The knife has some issues but at this point on my journey, I'm pleased. I'm still washing out the hamon lines but I'm sure that is just technique. The handle is mortised Texas mesquite, nickel silver guard, copper pin and forged 5160 blade.

Posted : 30/08/2016 8:51 pm
Share: