Ridge In Middle Of ...

Notifications
Clear all

Ridge In Middle Of Flat Grind?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Hello,

I have a recurring issue with my flat grinds, if Im grinding a blade longer than my platen is wide, I seem to develop a small ridge somewhere around middle of the flat grind. Usually I dont notice it until Im inspecting the grind after I run up to 120 grit and it seems to only appear at that grit or higher. I was reading other posts and was thinking it may be a platen problem with it being in need of dressing but it might just be me too.

Typically Ill grind with my elbows locked in and shift my feet to do the grind to make it as stable as I can, is it possible that Im unknowingly tipping the blade slightly and rocking it back to create this small ridge?

Thanks for any replies!

Pat B

Posted : 01/06/2016 9:03 am
Robert Wright

Pat,

Are you referring to a 2" mark?

Bob

Posted : 01/06/2016 1:03 pm
BrionTomberlin

Sounds like 2 inchitis. Bob nailed it. It occurs from uneven pressure with your grinding, usually when cleaning up plunges. The trick is to go slow and watch your thumb pressures especially on the edge of the platen away from the plunge areas.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 01/06/2016 10:38 pm
Topic starter

its somewhere near that mark yes, thanks for the tips!

Posted : 02/06/2016 7:45 am
Robert Wright

Try using a work rest with a push stick holding even pressure. Pull the blade through by tang. Just about any blade coming off the grinder is going to have high and low spots caused by uneven pressure, belt flex, platten issues, etc... Invest in a 9" disc grinder, you'll be glad you did.

Bob

Posted : 02/06/2016 9:31 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Try using a work rest with a push stick holding even pressure. Pull the blade through by tang. Just about any blade coming off the grinder is going to have high and low spots caused by uneven pressure, belt flex, platten issues, etc... Invest in a 9" disc grinder, you'll be glad you did.

Bob

Thanks for the advice Bob! Ive been eyeing the disc grinder for a while now while I save up for one.

Pat B

Posted : 06/06/2016 8:57 am
Karl B. Andersen

I'm guessing you understand the issue mentioned.

You're simply pushing the blade a bit unevenly and digging the far edge of the belt into the blade creating a small indention/divot at the beginning of the grind.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 06/06/2016 11:01 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I'm guessing you understand the issue mentioned.

You're simply pushing the blade a bit unevenly and digging the far edge of the belt into the blade creating a small indention/divot at the beginning of the grind.

Yes, thanks to all of you who helped explain! All advice is greatly appreciated.

Posted : 07/06/2016 9:39 am
Share: