Which Wheel Is A Go...

Notifications
Clear all

Which Wheel Is A Good Starter?

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Ive come close to exhausting my financial ability to purchase any more bladesmithing tools. Im just starting out and I did buy a Beaumont KMG grinder with platen however i chose to go with a cheap harbor frieght 1hp farm duty motor for now. I believe i need a contact wheel as well. What is a good wheel to start with? there are so many to chose from im a bit overwhelmed. 6, 8, 10, 12 or 14 inch? Poly vs duo. Just trying to get a decient one to start out with. Forged my first knife yesterday. Truly excited about it.

Thank you for any insight,

Matthew Orr

Village Idiot

Posted : 20/12/2015 10:44 pm
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Matthew,

Unless you are wanting to do a hollow grind on your blades then you won't need a contact wheel. Most of us use a flat grind and you have a platen already. A small wheel attachment can be handy for handle work but not a necessity.

Gary

Posted : 20/12/2015 10:58 pm
New Member Guest

I started with a platen and small wheel attachment. The only wheel I added was a 5" one. I use it when working on handled. I have yet to need any others.

In one of my intro classes the instructor did show how to use an 8" one to remove scale but, I don't have one and probably will not buy one. Sooner or later you will feel the need for a better motor.

Posted : 21/12/2015 12:54 am
Lin Rhea

Matthew, I have a 10 inch round wheel but only use it occasionally. The most two attachments I use are the flat platen and the rotary platen. I also think you should plan to buy a 2 hp motor as soon as you can.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 21/12/2015 9:13 am
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I grind weird any one that was watched me can attest to that... but that said I use a 8" serrated the most, followed by the the flat platen and a 2" wheel, I do use other wheels but mostly for specific jobs like grinding a fuller in a sword.

Posted : 21/12/2015 9:32 am
Topic starter

Thank you for your replies! I appreciate it. I plan on making some knives and created a 2+ Hp fund for myself. I am planning on going to the Intro class in texarkana come Feb. Holding off on any more purchases until after that class.

Posted : 22/12/2015 8:02 pm
BrionTomberlin

Hello Matthew. I look forward to seeing you in February. I also have an eight inch serrated wheel. I mainly use it for removing scale, handle shaping, and grinding curved clips. The rest of the work is done on the flat platen and with a small wheel, 3/4" to be exact. I would suggest either an eight or a ten. The serrated wheel will remove material faster, but the smooth will get you a better finish.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 22/12/2015 9:55 pm

|quoted:
I am planning on going to the Intro class in texarkana come Feb. Holding off on any more purchases until after that class.

Cool I'm going to that class too. I guess I'll see you there!

Tucker Parris

TAPForge.com

Posted : 08/01/2016 2:24 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Cool I'm going to that class too. I guess I'll see you there!

Cool! Im staying at the Best Western. Ill be there Sunday afternoon. Can go grab a glass of ice tea if your there!

Posted : 08/01/2016 5:15 pm

|quoted:

Cool! Im staying at the Best Western. Ill be there Sunday afternoon. Can go grab a glass of ice tea if your there!

Cant wait for this class! I'm flying in late on sunday so we will have that ice tea another day.

Tucker Parris

TAPForge.com

Posted : 03/02/2016 2:19 pm
BrionTomberlin

Ice tea Monday at lunch guys. Williams Tavern, just down from the school. See you all there.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 04/02/2016 12:43 am

Sounds good Brion, cant wait!

Tucker Parris

TAPForge.com

Posted : 04/02/2016 2:27 pm
Topic starter

Just so you know ive only made a couple of knives. Wanted to go to the class before I really started. That way I wouldn't learn bad habbits on my own. The weekend between I'm going to that diamond mine on Saturday to hunt and then to a garnet claim on sunday I hope!

Posted : 06/02/2016 1:29 pm
Share: