Notifications
Clear all

Forging W2

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Journeyman Bladesmith
Topic starter

For anyone that might know, I am wanting to know about forging W2. I have worked with 5160,1084, and a couple of the more common steels and feel fairly comfortable forging these. I would like to find out the diference, if any, involved in forging W2? What is the carbon content, and any other alloys in this steel? I plan on using Parks 50 for the quench to try and creat some interesting hamon lines. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks-Bill

Posted : 24/02/2012 7:20 pm

W-2

Hey Bill. It was nice meeting you Thursday night and congratulations again on getting your JS. The link above is to a composition break down of W-2.

Cheyenne Walker

Apprentice Smith

Posted : 24/02/2012 9:18 pm
New Member Guest

If you go to "tailgate tool sales" there is a post "new W-2" Aldo gives the specs for his W-2 there. Thats assuming you got it from Aldo. I believe Don Hanson has the specs on his website too in case you got it from him. As for foging is much like the 1084 you already work with. If you go to the topic of the month and choose "Hamons" there is a discussion that talks about the proper heat treat, and otherwise making hamons, specifically with W-2. Hope this helps, Justin

Posted : 25/02/2012 9:27 pm
Eminent Member Journeyman Bladesmith
Topic starter

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be checking out those sources-Bill

Posted : 25/02/2012 9:43 pm
Share: