Notifications
Clear all

Steel Size

9 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
New Member Guest

I want to start on a bowie knife what size of steel do I need to get 1/4 X 2 , 1/4 X 1 1/2, 1/4 X 1 or is there another size of steel I need?

thank you

Johnny

Posted : 22/12/2014 6:43 pm
New Member Guest

I use 1/4x1 1/2 or 3/8x1 1/2, 1075 with very good results. It depends on how big you want to make it.

Posted : 22/12/2014 7:00 pm
New Member Guest

I want to work on a JS Performance Test knife. I know I got a 2 years to work on the knife before I can be able to do Journeyman Smith performance test.

Johnny

Posted : 22/12/2014 7:21 pm

|quoted:

I want to work on a JS Performance Test knife. I know I got a 2 years to work on the knife before I can be able to do Journeyman Smith performance test.

Johnny

Johnny, I asked the same question when I first joined. the answer that seemed to be the most prevalent was 1/4" x 1 1/2". I did order that size however if you have been forging for very long you will know that you can only pull that cutting edge down so far without a power hammer. I never could get the edge of 1/4" stock down that whole 1/2" for the test size knife. 1 1/2" stock is plenty wide to pass the test and is what I will use again but I would go with 2" if I was trying to replicate exactly the size the requirement.

Just my thoughts, Jared

P.S. don't quench the edge too deep. I failed my first try and will try to retest in April or May sometime.

Posted : 23/12/2014 6:27 pm
New Member Guest

thank you johnny

Posted : 23/12/2014 10:38 pm

Hello, In the same vain, as the size material to use, is there a formula or method by which the size of the initial raw material/stock size can be determined to achieve a planned and predetermined forged blade size?

I.e. What size raw material would you start with to make a 12" Bowie with a hidden tang. At the moment i seem to be wasting alot of material.

Posted : 25/12/2014 5:08 pm
Robert Wright

Johnny, I passed my JS performance test using Aldo's 5160, .25"X1.5". The forged blade was 2" wide at the choil. Full tang, camp style, with a short clip. Full quench, three one hour temper cycles. I drew the spine with the edge in a water bath. I drew it three times. The first draw was with the spine to red in the dark. The next two draws were to a usual blue running just past half way to the edge. The blade performed great!

Best of Luck!

Bob

Posted : 25/12/2014 8:22 pm
New Member Guest

thank you Bob

on the temper cycle what was the degree?

Johnny

Posted : 25/12/2014 11:01 pm
Robert Wright

I made 2 blades. I tested the first one at home before I heat treated, tempered and drew the second one. I wanted to be sure I had it down right. There are some older threads that have good info on making the test knife,etc.

Bob

Posted : 25/12/2014 11:58 pm
Share: