Notifications
Clear all

1078 steel

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Hello all, I have the opportunity to acquire a large quantity of 1078 steel. All new, in 3/4 hex bars. Company that has it now uses more modern steel. I've never come across 1078 before, but is there any reason to believe it would not be appropriate blade steel, similar to the 10xx steels most of us often use? Also, if I do buy this steel, I'd definitely be interested in reselling quite a bit of it at a very good price to ABS members. 

Posted : 20/09/2023 4:13 pm
Bobby Best
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Those more familiar with the industry might be able to answer better, but I'm not seeing anything that would stop it from behaving like a 10xx steel for knives. If you can get the composition sheets on their particular batch(es), make sure there's no odd additives or like a ton of manganese, that would be helpful in making sure it will behave like you expect. 

If you pick it up, I'd certainly like to try it.

Posted : 21/09/2023 11:16 am
Topic starter

Well, I brought a bar home and I'll play with it and see how it heat treats. 

Posted : 21/09/2023 1:50 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Every since the way CruForge V went, I tend to be guarded when a particular steel supply might be limited.  I was one of the initial testers for CruForge, and spent significant time and effort working out it's details... only to be told that when the first run was sold, there would be no more made.   I stopped working on it right then and there, and still have a couple of bars thrown back in a corner of the shop.  Personally, I don't have the time to waste on a steel that might not be there tomorrow. 

That being said, IF you like it, and get the details worked out, there's no reason not to pick up all of it you can.  I've been at this long enough to watch steel become outlandishly expensive, and the quality woefully lower overall than it used to be.   What does that mean?   I tell students this:  "Steel is never going to be cheaper than it is right now, so when you find a steel you like, buy as much as you possibly can...because it will not go bad on the shelf." 😉  

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 22/09/2023 8:08 am
Topic starter

Thanks for the input, Ed. I'm playing with it now and got a chunk to another smith to do the same. So far, seems to be as it should be, very similar to other 10xx steels of close carbon content. Data sheets available online suggest it may have slightly lower MN content. 

Posted : 02/10/2023 4:38 pm
Share: