Notifications
Clear all

A general inquiry into a. how to inlay raised wire into wooden handles, and b. who the best suppliers to source mammoth bark and interior ivory from?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Liam Walle
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

This is my first time asking anything on here so I'm not entirely sure how things work, and also I wasn't sure where to ask, so if it should have been in another sub-forum, my apologies. I'm an apprentice in New Zealand and I'm planning to present my journeyman set next year in 2024 at Bladeshow Atlanta. On one of my knives I plan to inlay an array of silver wires into the wooden handle of a dagger (not sure on wood yet but probably rosewood or amboyna burl) in the shape of two angels (inspired by 'the subtle knife' from the books by Phillip Pullman). I was curious as to whether one needs to dovetail the grooves and have the wire mechanically set (which seems risky for wood) or is having a tight fit and gluing them in sufficient? Also what glue is advisable, would simple epoxy work or would a fast drying superglue work better? As per the second question in the title, mammoth ivory, I've been a little scared to use it thus far as I don't want to stuff something like that up, but I wanted to include some in a few of the knives for bladeshow and my set. I can't really get to a show before then, also I'd really like to have some blue bark for a clamshell bowie for the J.S set and I've heard they cannot be bought at shows? Any suppliers I can contact online and have some shipped?

Also any general advice on J.S knives, exhibiting at Bladeshow Atlanta, or really anything you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated.

(I'll try attach a few photos of some of my previous work for anyone curious) 

Thank you,

Liam 

Posted : 18/04/2023 2:30 am
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Welcome to the ABS Forums!  When I first read your post, my mind immediately went to.... "This guy is another one trying to do stuff that is over his head." Which is very often the downfall of those testing for JS. 

Just to explain...  Nearly every year, we see one or more individuals testing for JS, and in an attempt to "impress the judges" (which IMO is simply the wrong mindset for anyone testing), They TRY to do something that is above their skill level, do it poorly, and it ends up causing them to fail.  Then they wail and complain, when what they really should have done is read, and reread the ABS guidelines/rules for presentation knives, look at the style/type presentation knives shown on the ABS website, and present less ornate knives, that are executed superbly. 

After looking at the pic/knife you posted, it appears you have a good handle on things. (But again, by the rules, remember that NO DAMASCUS is allowed on JS presentation test knives) 😉  However,  that being said, I think it's something that you still should think about/keep in mind when building your JS presentation knives.  The JS test IS NOT a place to try new things. Keep in mind that ANYTHING you do to a knife, or any ornamentation you place on/apply to a presentation knife, will be judged.  So unless you are supremely confident that you can pull off whatever it is you're doing, I would say to remember K.I.S.S.

I've not done any silver wire handle inlays in years, but do know the process very well.  First, those woods you mentioned are VERY POOR candidates.  There is a reason you typically see silver wire inlay on Maple handles... that because the wood lends itself very well to the process.  I've tried silver wire inlay on African Blackwood, Desert Ironwood, and a couple of others, and one everything other than Maple, it turned out to be a train wreck.

When inlaying on Maple, I've always used a good wood glue, watered down slightly,  No "undercutting", but I do pull the wire through 120 grit sandpaper so the scratches are lengthwise on the wire,  and I "wet" the wire ribbon with the wood glue, prior to tapping it into place with a small engraving hammer.  

Concerning the fossil ivories....  again, your JS presentation knives are NOT the place to try "new" things.  Fossil ivories are notorious for "moving".  So considering you'd have the ivory shipped to you, then build your knives in New Zealand, then have them on several planes between there and Atalanta.  You could very well end up with "movement" that could fail one or more knives with fossil ivory on them.  Just a word to the wise. 

What it comes down to is....you can do things/add decoration to the knives, that may not be done well enough/correctly in the eyes of the judges, and multiply your chances of failure.   OR, you can play it safe, build simple knives that are executed superbly, and make sure you pass the presentation test. 

Speaking for myself as a MS, and as a judge, what impresses me are those knives that are simple in design, that have been superbly executed, with Absolute top notch fit and finish. Embellishment is great...when it's correctly executed. But at the JS level, I see far more done poorly, than correctly.

I have a couple of articles on my website that I wrote for folks in your position...

http://www.caffreyknives.net/abs_perf_test_art.html

http://www.caffreyknives.net/abs_perf_test_art.html

Disclaimer:  These articles are based on my experiences as a member of the ABS, and as one who has navigated both the JS and MS tests successfully.  They are not necessarily the opinions or views of the ABS. 😉  

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 18/04/2023 11:55 am
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Great looking knife!  I can't wait to see pictures of the set you bring with you next year to Atlanta for judging.

Posted : 19/04/2023 5:30 pm
Liam Walle
Topic starter

Thank you!

Posted : 20/04/2023 12:39 pm
Liam Walle
Topic starter

Thank you very much, I can be slightly ambitious at times and it's definitely a smarter plan to go for less ornate. I'll also leave off on the mammoth Ivory for any handles. My thoughts are to make a set in Damascus to the design of my J.S set and thus have stock for the show, figure out all my sub-par features, and then figure out how to do them better or do away with them for my actual set in probably 5160 or 15n20 or something simple like that. Cheers!

Posted : 20/04/2023 12:48 pm
Share: