Notifications
Clear all

Circular Saw Blades For Knives

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Anyone have any experiance using large circular saw blade for knives or crosscut saw blades. If so what kind of steel am I looking at and what kind of heat treat do I need. I have to make a blunt skinner and I don't have the right size stock for what the guy is wanting. But I have some large saw blades...I prefer forging with known steel. But this time I will most likely make an exception because of time constraints on this project.

Posted : 22/05/2012 9:42 pm

If I remember right bandsaws from a sawmill are the same as 15n20, but not sure about the round saws.

Forge On!!!!

Jason

Posted : 22/05/2012 10:08 pm
BrionTomberlin

Jared, the steel could be L-6, could be 1095, could be some mystery steel. A lot would depend on where the saw blade was made and when it was made. The only way to be sure is to have it tested. That costs money and time. I would suggest cutting some pieces and doing test heat treating. Just use a regular quenching oil and heat treat like you normaly would. I would say a starting tempering temp of 375 and check the edge. Then adjust the temp. I am betting you will have to raise the temperature to 400 or so.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 22/05/2012 11:09 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Jared, the steel could be L-6, could be 1095, could be some mystery steel. A lot would depend on where the saw blade was made and when it was made. The only way to be sure is to have it tested. That costs money and time. I would suggest cutting some pieces and doing test heat treating. Just use a regular quenching oil and heat treat like you normaly would. I would say a starting tempering temp of 375 and check the edge. Then adjust the temp. I am betting you will have to raise the temperature to 400 or so.

Brion

Thanks for the advice Brion. Don't know what kind of steel it is but it hardened up real good. I did work up my tempering temp like you advised. On the third cycle at 400 I started seeing colors, that is when I stopped. Here is a picture of the finished knife. Stainless bolsters and stabalized maple burl. The shield was a first for me. I think it turned out well.

Attached files

Posted : 17/06/2012 11:27 pm
Share: