Notifications
Clear all

Collegiate Bladesmithing Competition

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

i recently got a new job teaching machine shop to engineers at university california irvine, as soon as they found out about my bladesmithing roots they recruited me to be a staff adviser for their bladesmithing club/ group. i was like what you have a bladesmithing group? they make a blade and do a write up video and poster on it and submit it to the TMS (the minerals metals and materials society) this is the second year they have held this competition. i thought it was cool that material science engineers make anything that represents a blade (cant be sharp tho) just wanted to share and see if the ABS was interested in getting involved or at least for marketing purposes.

TMS bladesmithing comp

Tucker Parris

TAPForge.com

Posted : 18/10/2016 4:53 pm
Admin_DJC305

Tucker

Thanks for posting. I forwarded your post to ABS Chairman Harvey Dean.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 18/10/2016 9:45 pm
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

That sounds awesome. I wish I had stuff like this when I was in college.

Posted : 19/10/2016 5:22 pm
Lin Rhea

I have to ask a question. I read that the blade must be dull. It cannot be sharp. So obviously performance is not tested, right? Yet this is a study in metallurgy. Help me understand. It's not just a piece of metal but a blade. A blade is meant to cut. It's also a competition. How does one make a blade as part of a competition and not follow through with sharpening and testing by cutting? What would determine who won?

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 20/10/2016 1:04 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I have to ask a question. I read that the blade must be dull. It cannot be sharp. So obviously performance is not tested, right? Yet this is a study in metallurgy. Help me understand. It's not just a piece of metal but a blade. A blade is meant to cut. It's also a competition. How does one make a blade as part of a competition and not follow through with sharpening and testing by cutting? What would determine who won?

you are correct they dont cut. someone somewhere in their infinite wisdom didnt think that actually mattered...it is more or less competition based on the science of the metallurgy and such. not so much a cutting competition. it would be really cool if i can eventually convince them to do it sharp!

Tucker Parris

TAPForge.com

Posted : 20/10/2016 5:04 pm
Share: