Notifications
Clear all

Desrosiers Lose Shop To Fire

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Many of you may know by now that Adam & Haley DesRosiers lost their shop to a fire recently. I am donating this knife and taking bids on it with 100% of the proceeds going to the rebuilding of their shop.

Go to FaceBook to place a bid: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009517722690

Gary

Posted : 31/12/2015 1:17 am
Lin Rhea

Gary, thanks for posting this. This is a great example of what we each can do if our circumstances will allow. A lot of folks are pulling for Adam and Haley. It hurts just thinking about such a loss.

Chris Montgomery and I are planning a tong making day soon and we'll send them to Alaska. I would think there are some immediate needs ( cash most likely) followed by needs pertaining to the shop. Clean up will be one of the first things. I intend to get behind someone who is organizing this, like the one you mentioned, instead of going on my own. The line of communication will be better and the true benefit will be maximized.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 31/12/2015 11:22 am
Admin_DJC305

Thank you Gary and Lin for your generosity.

There is an additional fund raising effort actively underway for Adam and Haley DesRosiers.

This is the link, click: youcaring.com

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 31/12/2015 10:06 pm
Topic starter

I'm going to leave the bidding on my knife open until midnight Jan. 1. If you want to help out the DesRosiers here please get your bids in.

Thanks,

Gary

Posted : 31/12/2015 11:18 pm
Topic starter

The bidding for my knife is now over and the winning bid goes to Les Alldredge. I have asked that the bid be applied directly to Adam's PayPal account.

My thanks to all of the bidders and promoters involved.

Gary

Posted : 02/01/2016 2:32 am
Admin_DJC305

Fundraising Updates:

Thank you Gary for the generous donation of your outstanding knife for the fund raising auction for Adam and Haley and all who participated in the auction.

I have an update for the fund raising effort on the youcaring.com website and as of this morning 102 donors have contributed $8,555 to help Adam and Haley.

This is the link to the site, click: youcaring.com

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 02/01/2016 11:46 am
Admin_DJC305

I have an update for the fund raising effort on the youcaring.com website and as of this afternoon donors have contributed $10,169 to help Adam and Haley.

This is the link to the site, click: youcaring.com

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 04/01/2016 7:39 pm
Joshua States

I also donated a knife I made up for sale and two Damascus blades. The blades have been sold. The knife (pictured below) is on the Facebook website. (more photos there too). There are many items for sale/auction at the FB site, not just knives. So do a little after the holidays shopping and check it out.

Attached files

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 04/01/2016 11:05 pm
Admin_DJC305

Joshua

Thank you for your generous donation of some outstanding work. I am sure that Adam and Haley appreciate it.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 04/01/2016 11:19 pm

Hats off to Gary and Lin for their initiative. I am proud to call both of you friends. (Wish I had seen Gary's post before the auction closed, that English & Hubers style is right up my alley!)

The outpouring of support for Adam and Haley says a lot about the knife community in general and the ABS in particular.

It's a heartbreaking loss, but Adam and Haley have as much drive and spirit as anyone I know. I have no doubt they'll be back at the forge sooner than even they thought possible.

Posted : 06/01/2016 10:05 am
Kevin R. Cashen

Karen and I were just discussing the way the knifemaking community responds to things like this. There are not too many other business communities that look out for each other like this one does. I always found it ironic that a group of people dedicated to making tools that too often carry a negative or violent stigma in our society are some of the kindest, warm hearted and all around decent folks I have had the privilege to meet. Be it information, time or resources, it would be hard to find a more generous community than knifemakers.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 07/01/2016 12:20 pm

I most certainly agree, Kevin!

Russell

Posted : 07/01/2016 3:34 pm
Admin_DJC305

I have an update for the fund raising effort on the youcaring.com website and as of this morning a total of 153 donors have contributed $14,043 to help Adam and Haley rebuild their shop in Alaska.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 09/01/2016 10:06 am
Share: