Notifications
Clear all

Interesting Conversation Piece

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I was talking with my brother the other day and he showed me what he had gotten while on deployment. He was stationed in Djibouti and while on patrol he met a local guy who liked my brother's sunglasses. They started talking and the guy offered my bother his handmade knife for the glasses. Not the most even of trades (the guy definitely came out ahead with the glasses as you can see below) but it was a cool souvenir to come back home with. It's made from scrap materials and in no way is properly constructed nor heat treated but an interesting piece non the less in my opinion. These people were scrapping by however possible so I'll give them credit for trying.

Sheath is camel skin with some copper wire-wrap for structure and a little decoration. Also has a little aluminum belt clip.

Wouldn't even begin to guess the metal but I'm sure it's some scrap piece from whatever he could find.

The handle appears to be some cheap wood that you would find on most Walmart furniture that has been pressure fit with some aluminum riveting. Also some more wire-wrap.

Maybe I'm crazy but I thought it was something fun to see. I think I got the image posting parameters right, sorry if not.

Attached files

Posted : 27/08/2020 5:21 pm
Joshua States

I do think it's cool. Nice little memento of the mission to keep. Thanks for sharing.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 27/08/2020 11:16 pm

Love the design, even if the execution is poor. It might be a fun project to make your own version

Posted : 25/09/2020 7:12 am
Topic starter

I might just do that!

Posted : 28/09/2020 6:19 am
Share: