Kga Shop Tour At Master Smith Ray Kirk's Shop On May 12, 2012

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

The Knife Group Association Newsletter

April, 2012

The KGA will be having a shop tour at the home of Ray Kirk on May 12, 2012.  The time frame will be from about 10:00 AM till around 4:00 PM.  Please let me know if your able to make it so I can order enough fry meat.

The 3 demo’s will be done by Gary Crowder (file work for your blades), Newt Livesay (Forming Kydex and Kydex techniques) and Ray Kirk (forging a small integral and completion steps)

The noon meal will consist of a traditional hog fry (Cherokee style) with fried potatoes and brown beans.  Side dishes are welcome as are desserts and other supplies.   We will have a short meeting sometime during the day to discuss our next shop tour and knife show.  We have been also talking about having a company (KGA) picnic of knife makers at one of our state lakes this summer.  This would be a get together to visit and have a fun day in the sun.  Just a little something for you to think about.

Speaking of the knife show, we did pretty good on our first show back in the OKC area.  There was over a 100 people to come through. We have scheduled the show for the same time next year and hope to greatly improve the numbers.  The facilities there was very nice with ample free parking and located on a major road only about 2 miles from I35.  The motels near I35 were reasonable and had plenty of eating places.

I

Don’t forget: We are having tail gate sales so bring your extra supplies to sell or trade.

We will also be having “Iron in the Hat” so bring a little something to donate to help with expenses and operate our club. 

Ray Kirk

www.rakerknives.com

KGA Sec/Treas

A chance of success exists when you try,

Failure is a sure thing when you quit.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 07/04/2012 9:39 am
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

In addition to the scheduled demo’s, one member has asked to check out a pc of steel to see if it will make a knife. I would like any one else that may have a piece of mystery steel to bring a small pc and we can check to see if it will harden. This may save you some time at some point in the future when some one may want to have a knife forged from their family heirloom.

I have also invited the Chief of the Cherokee Tribe and his wife to be here. They plan on being here with several other council members of the Cherokee Nation. I have agreed to be a blacksmith this summer at the Cherokee Territorial Prison Museum here in Tahlequah. This may give us a bit more exposure as smiths and knife makers to the tourists that come to the Tahlequah area.

I have a list of about 45 people so far. Please let me know if you plan on attending. We still have a couple of weeks till we have to order the meat for the hog fry.

Ray Kirk

www.rakerknives.com

KGA Sec/Treas

A chance of success exists when you try,

Failure is a sure thing when you quit.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 20/04/2012 9:32 am
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Looking forward to it!

Posted : 07/05/2012 12:16 pm