Notifications
Clear all

Liability Insurance

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I've been asked to set up at several local farmer's markets but will need liability

insurance. Can anyone suggest an insurance company that won't charge a

large fortune for a policy?

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Posted : 18/03/2014 5:03 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

We have our insurance through The Hartford pretty reasonable and decent coverage. They used to advertise through ABANA and had a policy designed for demoing smiths. ABANA is now working with CNA http://www.abana.org/downloads/member-resources/ABANA-Shop_9-22-10.pdf but I have no first hand knowledge of the new Comp.

Posted : 18/03/2014 7:31 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

I understand needing some additional insurance in order to do demos and travel--something happens you'll need something.

Do smiths who work just at home need anything additional on top of their homeowner's insurance? I'm finding that lots of folks want to stop by to watch or even work on a project. Right now I'm in the "third world", so no big deal. But back in the States I'll need some type of coverage--I was just assuming that my homeowner's insurance would be plenty. Am I wrong? Any advice welcome. In the end, I'll probably just need to check with my insurance company, eh?

Steve

Posted : 19/03/2014 12:30 pm
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Bill,

I know that Barton Mutual writes a good bit of the liability policies of this type. Check with a local independent insurance broker. The rates should be minimal. Be sure to explain that you will be selling only and not making knives as that will up the rates considerably.

Gary

Posted : 19/03/2014 6:09 pm
BrionTomberlin

Hello Steve. I have a policy through my insurance agent, State Farm. It is an artist studio policy with $1,000,000 liability and covers the shop and equipment. Runs around $300 a year. Not the cheapest but good coverage. If you ask your agent you can probably get something that will work. You just need to make sure they know what you do and can tailor the policy for your studio.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 19/03/2014 9:44 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Thank you, Brion. It seems wise to have something additional, on top of the homeowner's.

Steve

Posted : 20/03/2014 3:01 pm
New Member Guest

The is a feeling among knifemakers that you make a knife, then sell it, then use the money to buy more supplies to make more knives. turning your 'hobby' into a business. You may need a commercial business policy go get the protection you need. Make sure that you have the proper protection BEFORE there is an accident, otherwise you may be denied coverage and that would be disastrous

Posted : 08/04/2014 8:40 am
Trusted Member Associate/Collector (5yr)

As a commercial insurance agent I can advise that typically any homeowner's policy is going to exclude any type of commercial or home based business activity/exposures. I agree in principle with the approach taken by Brion's State Farm agent- but personally would advise my client to think about compartmentalizing my business coverage from the personal auto and home insurance carrier used.

If that can be done reasonably, it makes better sense to separate things to avoid a claim in one causing the cancellation of the other. I also know that State Farm does not offer umbrella liability coverage, and if you wish an additional layer of coverage for a catastrophic event in the shop injuring others present- that would not be an option thru a State Farm agent.

Just food for thought. If you'd like to discuss personally I'll be glad to take a phone call or Private Message on your specific circumstances. six seven eight- 300-2883 is my phone.

Posted : 06/08/2014 9:06 pm
Share: