Notifications
Clear all

Making Integral Knives

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
BrionTomberlin
Topic starter

Hello everyone. I am sorry I am a bit late this month. I have been out of town. This months topic is from one of our suggestions and deals with integrals. What methods do you use for forging them. What methods do you use for grinding integrals and finishing tips. I do not do that many integrals, but I know some of our members do. So hopefully they will have some tips and techniques to share with us. If you have any questions concerning integral knives post them up. Thank you for the suggestion.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 07/10/2018 9:45 pm
Lin Rhea

This should be interesting. I heard the 2019 Spring Hammer In might dwell on the subject in depth.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 08/10/2018 8:22 am
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I do my share of integrals, for forging I like to rough out on a power hammer and finish on the anvil I generally leave the bolster area a little oversise to allow room to square it up, and to give options on how I deal with the tranzitions. I have several file guides I made for flatting the back of the bolster some as simple as a piece of O1 drilled a bit over size for the bolster with two set screws drilled and tapped from the sides , I made another more complex one with a hardened face that grabs off the blade, on some I use a carbide file guide. I have done full tang in the past but far prefer through or hidden tangs on integrals.

Posted : 08/10/2018 8:45 am

I know Bill Behnke makes a file guide specifically for making integral knives.This is not meant to be a sales pitch but just some helpful information.Not to mention Bill is a great guy to deal with.

Posted : 16/10/2018 6:40 pm
Share: