Notifications
Clear all

Making Money - Market demand - moving to full time?

3 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

I am at the point where I am planning to transition from part time bladesmith to full time.  Building a shop this summer, and have a plan for next June to go full time.  That being said, I am finding that I am getting more orders for roses than anything else.  I get $300/rose, and they take me 4-5 hrs.  I like the artistry of making the blade more.

Question:  do you guys that do this full time do other stuff too? IE ABANA stuff as well as blades?

I did put an article and templates together on my website on how I make then. They also make a good project during heats or heat treatment.

Article: https://www.solarstorm.ca/articles

Bob Bryenton
Solar Storm Group Ltd.
Phone: (780) 953-0016
Email: [email protected]
https://www.solarstorm.ca

“The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Posted : 01/07/2023 6:15 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Just some words of advice if you're going Full Time....  Whether the product is knives, roses, or anything else we produce, the hard fact is that our income is a direct result of others' disposable income.  When the economy is good, and folks have disposable income, then knives and other forged items sell.   When the economy is poor, or when folks don't have disposable income, or more importantly they PERCEIVE that they don't have disposable income, our sales suffer.     

Frankly, I advise most to "keep your job" and do knives on a part time basis....until you are in a situation where you have another income source, such as a retirement, before attempting to do it full time.  Most who have the idea of going full time don't think it through before making the leap....and fall flat...some never recover from it.  You become responsible for EVERYTHING!  Wages, insurance... business, property, and health, administration, shipping, accounting, etc, ect.   Vacation?  Likely will never happen again.   

Just as an example... a number of years ago, while at the Blade Show, while I was still full time military, and still doing it part time... I was in a group of some of the most well known Bladesmiths on the planet, and the discussion came around to traveling and paying for the show.  I was absolutely floored that most of those in the group spoke of how they had to "take out a loan" in order to travel to, and attend the show!  A couple even spoke of how selling what they had, would just barely repay their loan(s). 😮  

I secretly though to myself... "I never want to live "hand to mouth" like that!   So before I went full time, I finished up my military career, and am receiving a monthly retirement.  At about the same time I started having health issues, and after a dozen years, including several surgeries, was diagnosed with Lupus, interstitial lung disease, and kidney disease.  I say that not to evoke anyone's pity, but to illustrate that stuff happens, and if it were not for the retired military insurance, I would be dead....and my wife would be medically bankrupt.

OK, crawling down off my soapbox..... and back to your question.   Use EVERY means at your disposal, to make money/sales!   Personally, beyond knives, I make all sorts of "ornamental" items, including roses, as well as architectural iron items, such as hinges, railings, etc.   I make Damascus pens, Forging Hammers, offer Classes, and even offer knife sharpening.   

So YES, do anything and everything you can to make both ends meet the middle.... but also remember.... sometimes "Having" is sometimes a harsh awakening compared to "Wanting".   If you prepare well, and have realistic expectations that is a tough way to make a living, you can do, but in my experience, far more fail then succeed when making the jump for part to full time Knifemaking/Bladesmithing.

Best of Luck!

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 03/07/2023 9:51 am
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Thanks Ed Caffrey I am lucky to be in that situation where I have stable investment income, enough to retire if I so choose.  However, having tried that before when I was 50, I went absolutely bonkers.  To be clear, I am not rich, just managed things well enough to retire on 4 acres at north buck lake in Alberta Canada in a simple 1200 Sq Ft Cabin.

It is different in that I get a ton of satisfaction when people want to buy what I make.  

Your advice is sage and understood.  This will be my 4th "business"/career so am planning quite carefully.  Thus the next june timeline.  

It is good to hear that you are doing "everything". I am not sure I could turn a profit without doing stuff other than blades.

BTW - Thank you for serving.

Bob Bryenton
Solar Storm Group Ltd.
Phone: (780) 953-0016
Email: [email protected]
https://www.solarstorm.ca

“The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Posted : 03/07/2023 3:01 pm
Share: