Moving a 3,400LB Little Giant Trip Hammer

4 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
Michael Samdahl
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hey Folks,

I have been blessed enough to come into ownership of a Model 100, Little Giant Trip Hammer from 1915. I am trying to set up a team to move it to my shop on Saturday, and I thought that you guys would be the experts to ask for recommendations. I am obviously nervous about this as its shear weight and moving it into a garage can be tricky. I have the owner helping me load it onto a large low belly trailer in Lakeside MT with a forklift and will be moving it to my shop in Kalispell MT, but this is going up and down a very large hill. Next it will be moved into my shop that has a sloped entrance gaining about 1ft of grade over 10ft. I have a friend who has a boom truck and will be helping me unload. Finally getting it into place and how far from the shop wall it should be would great information. Any recommendations you would have as far as:

1. Will the 3/4 ton Pickup be able to pull the weight

2. Chain down / Strap recommendations. I plan on using chains, unless otherwise recommended. Little Giant recommended wrapping around the "c" Shaped arm once and then to corners both directions. 

3. Will the 1inch outer pipes crush whilst rolling into place?

4. I was thinking of taking 10ft L 4"x4" beams in cross pattern to keep the machine from flipping to its side. 

Any thoughts would help. I watched Will Stelter's video where he flipped his off a pallet and I am quite scared of that happening. 

Machine Dimensions:

The Dimensions are 84” tall, 36” deep 24” wide.

My shop height: is 92" tall from garage floor to garage door height. 

20211029_100453.jpg

Respectfully
Michael

Posted : 31/01/2024 4:54 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

besides the envy and jealousy, that is very cool!  Make sure you put the move on your youtube channel.

Bob Bryenton
Solar Storm Group Ltd.
Phone: (780) 953-0016
Email: [email protected]
https://www.solarstorm.ca

“The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Posted : 01/02/2024 11:40 am

Very cool on the hammer.  Wish I didn’t have neighbours, as I would love to get one (not nearly that big but still jealous).  Not to sound like a dick but if you're not comfortable with rigging and transport, I’d seriously look at hiring someone in the area.  Their experience is gold for fitting odd shaped things into tight spaces.   That hammer is over 100 years old and not like you can just order up new parts if it goes for a whoops.  
honestly for placement in the shop, I’d seriously be looking at a forklift. Most industrial ones can lift 5000lbs and a 1-10 slope isn’t too bad. If that isn’t in the cards, I wouldn’t try rolling that thing on pipes.  I’d try to find hd moving dolly’s and use a come along when bringing it up the slope.  It starts moving back on you and you’re not going to stop it by pushing.  
just my thoughts.  

Posted : 01/02/2024 4:23 pm
Michael Samdahl
Topic starter

Ryan Lehbauer and Wendell Bryenton,

Thank you both for the helpful thoughts. I basically just started calling as many folks as I knew with knowledge or construction equipment and we got it handled. I will say doing things overkill made the work fast and easy. Thank you both for the advice!

Respectfully
Michael

Posted : 05/02/2024 5:08 pm
Share: