5 Users
0 Likes
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith
Topic starter

When you just wanna cry.  

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

This individual stuck this knife in his hunting pack, then forgot about it for over a year!  When he asked if I could "fix" it, I told him as far as the knife goes... not without a complete tear down, regrind/refinish the blade, and a complete rebuild, and that it IS NOT covered under warranty.   And as far as him leaving it in his pack,  No! I can't fix STOOPID!     

It's soaking in WD40 right now, and I intend to spend a bit of time with SandaFlex blocks, trying to clean what I can of the rust...but in case you can't see it in the pics... It heavily "pit" rusted in those rust spots.  GRRRR!    

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 01/04/2024 11:43 am
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I feel your pain Ed. That reminds me of the time one of my chef's knives came back after the customer's daughter put it in the dishwasher.......

By the time you get done with fixing that, it should cost almost as much as a new knife.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 02/04/2024 10:48 pm
Karl B Andersen
Journeyman Bladesmith Forum Moderator

That's about as bad as I've ever seen. In all these years I've only had to re-do one - a stainless San Mai - and I am glad it was a take-down.

Posted : 03/04/2024 8:24 am
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Yup, no matter how hard you try...  

Bob Bryenton
Solar Storm Group Ltd.
Phone: (780) 953-0016
Email: [email protected]
https://www.solarstorm.ca

“The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Posted : 11/04/2024 8:52 am
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

I had the same thing happen a couple of years back, but the customer was my bro inlaw! Haha! He had been out hunting in the rain, killed a deer, cleaned the deer with the knife, re-sheathed the dirty knife, put it back in his wet pack, and never took it out again until the next season! It was a mess! In my case it was a full tang hunter with micarta bolsters, and wood scales. The scales and bolsters were both pulling off, the blade was rusted and looked horrible. It was pretty much a total rebuild. Pull everything off, regrind the blade, polish ,etch, new handle, and I even made a new sheath. He pretty much got a new knife. Good times!

Posted : 25/04/2024 12:10 pm
Share: