Notifications
Clear all

Passing Of Journeyman Smith Eugene "gene" Loro

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Cindy Sheely
Topic starter

Butch and I had the good fortune of sitting next to ABS Journeyman Gene Loro at the Ohio Classic Knife Show a few years, he was a pleasure. We are sorry to say Gene passed away on October 17th.

The following was taken from the Zanesville Times Recorder: Eugene Francis "Gene" Loro CROOKSVILLE: Eugene Francis "Gene" Loro, 96 of Crooksville died peacefully, Thursday, October 17, 2013 at Genesis Good Samaritan Medical Center in Zanesville following a brief illness. He was born Saturday, September 5, 1917 in Pittson, PA the son of the late Frank & Elvira (Rocereto) Loro. He married Ruth (Robinson) Loro on September 8, 1964 and was Roman Catholic by Faith. Gene retired from Essex Wire as an Aeronautical & Mechanical Engineer following many years of service. He enjoyed fly fishing, being a HAM Radio Operator, Master Knife Maker and hunting. Gene was an excellent wine maker, sang lead in barbershop quartets and enjoyed spending time with his family. He was a member of the Knights of Columbus and was a Master Mason. - See more at: http://www.legacy.co...h.tZLDsmBu.dpuf

Cindy Sheely

ABS Office Manager

(419) 832-0400

[email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

Posted : 30/10/2013 11:53 am
Admin_DJC305

Our thoughts and prayers are with Gene's family and friends at this time.

Thank you Cindy for posting the detailed information about Gene's life. This is the full text of the obituary from the link that Cindy provided above:

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 30/10/2013 4:55 pm
BrionTomberlin

Very sad to hear about this. Thank you Cindy for posting it. I met Gene once, wish I had been able to know him better. Diane and I send our sympathies to his family and friends.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 30/10/2013 8:44 pm

I hadn't bumped into Gene for quite a while and am really saddened by this news. He was a good knife maker and an even better man, and I always enjoyed visiting with him at the shows in his neck of the woods. Rest in peace, my friend.

Mark

Posted : 01/11/2013 1:06 am
Admin_DJC305

I just received the below email and photo from Jim Batson about his friend Gene Loro and I want to share his kind words and memories of Gene with you.

Dan:

Gene Loro and I were good Friends. He took an intro class from me in Old Washington. I do not remember the year. He lived near Zanesville, Ohio and in Phoenix, Az. I would visit him in Ohio. I taught him how to make Damascus.

He had no trouble passing the Journeyman test. He tried for his Master Stamp three times. He was 84 years old at the last time. He was an achiever. I thought he might pass the last one but he didn't. If he could have past on determination and perseverance. He would have passed with flying colors.

At the first North Carolina show which was conducted in Raleigh, NC he had 30 knives stolen from his truck. Gene was always happy and he had a good disposition. His loss of knives did not effect his good nature.

I taught a Quillon dagger Class for the NRA at Montgomery Community College in Troy, NC. This photo was taken on 31 May 1997 at a fishcamp on the Peadee River.

I know that Gene is having fun wherever he is.

Jim Batson

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 02/11/2013 3:42 pm
Share: