Notifications
Clear all

Passing Of Mark Sentz, Master Smith

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Cindy Sheely
Topic starter

Harvey Dean called with the sad news that Master Smith Mark Sentz pass away. Our thoughts and prayers are for his family and many friends. Here is the link to the obituary: http://www.littlesfh.com/obituaries.php?id=559&p=&search.

Mark C. Sentz, 62, of Taneytown, died Fri, June 9, at his home. Born Nov 30, 1954 in Syracuse, NY, he was the son of the late Francis B. & Mary K. (Taylor) Sentz. Mark was a high school graduate and had a degree in Forestry. He was a machinist and master Gunsmith and Bladesmith.

Surviving are his brother, Francis K. Sentz & wife, Lewana, of Caldwell, WV and his sister, Joan E. Perkins of Baltimore. Mark loved to hunt and fish and enjoyed target shooting.

Funeral Service is Wed, June 14, at 11 A.M. at Little’s Funeral Home, Littlestown with The Rev. H. Paul Matthews III officiating. The family with receive friends Wednesday 10-11 A.M. at the funeral home. Burial is in Evergreen Cemetery, Gettysburg. Memorials in Mark’s name may be sent to American Cancer Society – P.O. Box 897, Hershey, PA 17033. Online condolences may be shared on www.littlesfh.com

Cindy Sheely

ABS Office Manager

(419) 832-0400

[email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

Posted : 12/06/2017 4:01 pm
Robert Wright

Prayers for his family!

Bob

Posted : 13/06/2017 10:51 am
Admin_DJC305

Mark Sentz was a Master Smith from Maryland and obtained his MS rating in 1994. Below is the Bio that Mark sent to me for his MS page on the ABS Website when I was working on the development of our website years ago.

"I am the last protégé of William F. Moran to become a Master Smith in 1994. I make a full range of cutlery based on the principles and ideals that Bill taught to me. In recent years I have become known for my folder design and produce many for high level hunters.

I am also a voting member of the Knifemaker’s Guild and a “Maestro” in the Italian Knifemaker’s Guild as well. I produce my own Damascus, and even some water quench (2001) carbon steel. I am a winner of numerous awards, including the “Moran” Award and one for “Straight Knife Designer of the Year” in Milan, Italy, and Blade Magazine “Best New Maker of the Year” in 1990."

Partial List of Awards:

1990 Blade Magazine “Best New Maker of the Year”

2001 ABS “W.F. Moran Award” for knife of the year

2002 Esposizione International Del Coltello (International Exposition of Cutlery) “Miglior Lima Fissa” Award for Best Straight Knife Designer Milan, Italy

by: Mark Sentz, Master Smith

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 13/06/2017 1:15 pm
Lin Rhea

I'm sorry to hear this. Our condolences to his family and friends.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 13/06/2017 8:57 pm
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

Sad news. I first met Mark years ago at the Blade Show, when it was in Knoxville. Prayers for his family.

Posted : 14/06/2017 10:48 am
Share: