Notifications
Clear all

Passing Of Master Smith Dickie Robinson

27 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
Rob Watson

thoughts and prayers to the Robinson family , sad time indeed........

[font="Comic Sans MS"]'Never Quit On Improving'[/font]

Posted : 19/09/2014 6:25 pm
New Member Master Bladesmith

I will miss my friend Dickie, i don't say much here, but for Dickie i have to..he was one of the best friends i ever had, a sad day for all of us,,i can truly say i'm a better man for knowing him

Posted : 19/09/2014 8:13 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

I just received a reply email from Larry Harley after he received the ABS Express email that I sent to all ABS members today. Larry wrote:

thanks

I have no words.

When I did chemo he was there.

he was more than my friend.

harley

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 19/09/2014 10:16 pm
Harvey Dean

I really hated to hear about Dickie. He has been a friend for a long time. I don't remember how many years. The part I will miss the most will be the phone calls that started with "Do you know who this is?" Our sympathy goes out to his family. Dickie will be missed. Harvey, Deborah and the Boys

Harvey Dean

Master Smith

[email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

Posted : 19/09/2014 11:10 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

I just received a reply email from Board Member Jim Phillips after he received the ABS Express email that I sent to all ABS members yesterday. Jim wrote:

"Thank you. Very sad, great human being. A treasure whom we will miss.

Jim Phillips"

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 20/09/2014 6:12 am
Jerry Fisk

I really hated to hear about this. That ole Gravely voice, the same by phone as in person, the, that is no problem approach and he was smart as all get out. He helped out many folks and will be missed by many. I remember how tickled he was to be the Sharpest Man using the Famer's Friend, that sucker could sure use that knife. Good man gone early.

Jerry Fisk

Master Smith

Posted : 20/09/2014 11:06 am
regel_jeanlouis

I did not know him personally, but all my condolences to his family.

Always sad to hear of the death of a loved one ...

Posted : 20/09/2014 11:21 am
New Member Guest

A few of my fond memories of Dickie Robinson are contained in the pictures below.

Dickie was friendly to me when I was a newcomer in the forged blade world. That meant a lot!

Here he is with BR Hughes and Joe Keeslar as they certify Dickie's cutter for competition at a "Scagel Hammer-In" in 2003, hosted by Mike Bauer and the ABS.

Dickie and my wife, Laura, hit it off. She bought what continues to be our favorite Scagel-style slip-joint folder. It's one of the 7 or 8 folders I keep in my dresser drawer and rotate for daily carry. Laura says, "Dickie had a real gentle spirit. He was kind to me when there weren't many other women around."

Dickie was always in on the fun. He inspired humor in others which is why I made this fanciful image:

Always game, here's Dickie participating in one of the unusual cutting challenges held back in the day before the lawyers got involved:

Fly on, brother, fly on.

Posted : 20/09/2014 12:25 pm

Dickie’s funeral service was held today Saturday 9-20-2014, 11:00 am in Vega Texas, at the First Baptist church. It was a packed house, family and friends, I think most all of Vegas Texas turned out. Here is a picture of one of his first hammerins at Vega Texas. He will be truly missed.

Posted : 20/09/2014 6:04 pm
New Member Guest

I only meet Dickie on a few occasions but he seemed a gentle and funny man, not enough of those around. My condolences to his family and friends.

Posted : 21/09/2014 4:15 am
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

I received the below email from Retired Master Smith Jim Jackson in England this morning that I want to share with our members.

Dear Dan

I was very upset to hear that we had lost Dickie. He and I became good friend in those wonderful days of "Show and Tell" which would take place in someone's hotel room when doing a knife show. It would be wall to wall knifemakers crammed into one room with some of the prettiest knives you would ever hope to see.

Dickie was a quitely spoken man with a wicked sense of humour.and we got on well together, especially the night we shared a bottle of Bourbon. I send my heartfelt condolences to his family we have lost a real character and fine knife maker and he will be remembered on this side of the pond.

Jim Jackson, ABS Master Smith (Retired)

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 21/09/2014 6:32 am
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

BR Hughes found this early photo of Dickie Robinson and asked me to post it. Left to right is Dickie

Robinson, Bill Moran, and Steve Culver.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 25/09/2014 2:43 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: