Notifications
Clear all

Passing Of Master Smith Red St. Cyr

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

I have some very sad news this evening. I just learned that Master Smith Red St. Cyr passed away today after a heart attack. I will keep you informed as I learn details of the arrangements.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 06/08/2012 9:06 pm
BrionTomberlin

That is sad news Dan. I am glad I was able to talk to him at Blade this year. I always enjoyed our conversations. He will be greatly missed. I will have to ring the anvil for him. My sympathies to his family and friends.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 06/08/2012 10:49 pm
New Member Guest

This is terrible news. I just spoke with him at the little California Knifemakers Association show in Brea a couple weeks ago.

RIP Red

Posted : 07/08/2012 3:03 am
Lin Rhea

My condolences to his family. Sad news indeed.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 07/08/2012 8:35 am
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

I am very sorry to hear of Red's passing. I had a great conversation with him at the ABS Expo, last January. He will be missed.

My condolences to his family.

Posted : 07/08/2012 9:11 am
Kevin R. Cashen

This sad news hit both Karen and I like an actual blow, it was one of the last things we expected to hear. It was a distinct honor and privilege to have known Red for the precious years we did have with him, he will be sorely missed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 07/08/2012 9:42 am
Michael Davis

I have never met him, but have admired his work for quite some time. It is a sad day to lose such a wonderful craftsman. My condolences to his friends and family.

Posted : 07/08/2012 11:08 am
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Our prayers and condolences to the family. I've known Red for many years, and always enjoyed our time together.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 07/08/2012 4:09 pm
Dale Huckabee

My condolences as well. I never met him but am still saddened at his passing.

Dale

Dale Huckabee

Journeyman Smith

dalehuckabeeknives.weebly.com

Posted : 08/08/2012 10:29 am
New Member Guest

All loss is sad but the loss of Red is a blow. Red was a great guy. Always willing to help. I will miss him.

Posted : 08/08/2012 6:44 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Honorary ABS member and Blade Magazine editor Steve Shackleford posted this tribute to Master Smith Red St.Cyr on the Blade Magazine website:

"American Bladesmith Society master smith Red St. Cyr of Reva Forge in Wilmington, California, passed away yesterday after suffering a heart attack.

Red was the founder of the American Bladesmith Society's (ABS) West Coast Forging Clinic, a member of the Southern California Blades, ABS, Arizona KCA, and Oregon KCA, and president of the California Knifemakers Association.

His specialty was fixed blades, forging his own damascus and mosaic patterns. In 1995 he became an ABS journeyman smith and earned his ABS master smith rating in 1998. He has received numerous awards for his knives, including the ABS Bill Moran Award.

At the tender age of 13, Red began an apprenticeship with a farrier and fell in love with working with metal and horses. By the time he was 16, he was a full-fledged farrier. He eventually became a master farrier, designing, forging and custom fitting horseshoes throughout the United States and several foreign countries.

When farmers baling hay began to use twine in place of baling wire, someone asked Red if he could make a knife from a horseshoeing rasp, and that started Red's life-long love of bladesmithing. He made knives for over 35 years.

Red was known for his readiness to share his knowledge and skills with others. He hosted the California Forging Clinic annually and also did forging demonstrations at the Knife Expo, the old BLADE Show West, BAKCA, and Reno ABS shows."

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 08/08/2012 10:24 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

I told you earlier that I would keep you updated on any final arrangements or services for Red St. Cyr.

I understand that there is no service planned. If I learn of any change in plans I will post the information.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 09/08/2012 10:55 pm

My sincere condolences to Eva and family. It was a blow to me as well when a student of mine called today and told me of Red's passing. He will be missed.

Posted : 22/08/2012 1:13 am
Share: