Notifications
Clear all

Peter Johnsson, Sword Classes

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello there ABS folks!

I'll be honest, it has probably been a couple of years since I have posted here. For those [most] of you who don't know me, my name is Zack Jonas. I earned my JS mark in 2012, and I am a full time maker.

I am writing to announce that Peter Johnsson and I will hold three week-long sword-making classes here at my studio in central New Hampshire this year. The dates are July 1-7, October 7-13, and October 16-22. Students will arrive with a prepared blank and depart with a finished sword.

Peter and I held our first two classes here earlier this year, and having participated in the first one (as a student) myself, I can tell you that he is an extraordinary teacher. Peter has designed a new sword for the upcoming classes. It will be a large, fast, hand-and-a-half sword, and by the end of the class each student should come away with a completed, fully functional weapon.

Tuition for each class will be $1500, with a $500 deposit due now and the remaining $1000 due one month before each class begins. There will be some minimal additional costs in the form of grinder belts, a few files, and some other small tools; everything else for the class is provided. You will of course also need to arrange for your own travel and lodging. My wife and I offer meals for the duration of the class at a cost of $250 (or about $12/meal). This covers breakfast lunch and dinner and is far and away the easiest way to go since the studio is about 200' from my home. (And just FYI, we're not talking about rough fare here; my wife is an exceptional cook.)

A note on the content of these classes: the sharp-eyed among you will have noticed that I said students will arrive with a prepared blank. This means all attendees are required to prepare a blank, either by forging or stock removal, to Peter's specification. Basically, the blank will take the form of a tapered bar, roughly 2" wide at the base/shoulders, and 3/4" wide at the tip, with bevels roughed in to the center-line and an edge no thinner than ~.010". The plan is to spend the first morning making any necessary small refinements in preparation for heat treatment and then have all of the blades hardened by dinner that first evening. We have structured it this way for two reasons: 1) anybody who has the skills to produce this blank will also have the skills to complete the sword--and anybody who doesn't, won't, and 2) going from blank to finished sword in seven days is a little crazy as it is; having your blanks ready will save a big chunk of time.

SO

If you are interested, please Email me at your earliest convenience at [email protected]. Or if you prefer, you can call me at 617-794-6344. The classes are already beginning to fill up with the students we had here back in January, and I must offer seats on a first-come, first-served basis.

Thanks!

Zack

Zack Jonas

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 02/05/2017 7:59 am
Share: